Author Topic: Writing Ideas!  (Read 21853 times)

AKK

• Before & After & Inbetween - Physicist on the Rampage
Re: Writing Ideas!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 12:59:14 pm »
Nanny Ogg is one of the 3 main witches in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.  Do a quick google image search and you'll get the idea.  She likes a drink, and another drink, and a song, and a drink, and a nice looking fella, and a drink.....  i beleive she's ahd 4 husbands and 15 children.  And she owns an evil cat called Greebo, who can turn into a man who looks like a pirate who can seriously swash buckle

thanks. :-)
I never got into Diskworld.

I always tell people who say they don't like it to try each of the different story lines within the series before they give up. I'm very partial to the Night Watch books and don't really care for most of the Witch , Death or Wizard books are kinda 'eh'. Besides the Night Watch books, I adore Small Gods which  is a book unto itself and very thought provoking

I didn't say I don't like it. It's that I never got into it, as in Pratchett's words didn't form a picture in my head, a landscape of the world described. The text stayed like words on a string, a story yes, but without any involvement from me. Reading such books is possible, but it's tiresome and not entertaining, independent of the story told, sadly.
"You are not cleared for that."

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 02:24:33 pm »
Sometimes Pratchett's writing just doesn't work for someone.  Can't say i can get into the Diggers or Jonny books.  Read a preview snippet for the new one Dodger coming out and its different again.
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2012, 12:03:55 am »
Eh, Pratchett does nothing for me outside Discworld. Kind of like Anne McCaffery and her Dragonriders versus the Talent series. I love DRoP and still regularly reread books I've been reading for 12 or more years, but never could get into the Talent series.
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

sweartoad

• I'm on DeviantArt (occasionally)
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2012, 07:57:46 am »
Yeah, Terry Pratchett isn't for everyone (but he is for me :))). Conversely I am ok with the Night Watch stuff but I really love the witches and Death. I also like the wizards mostly except I am a little sick of Rincewind (Ridcully, Ponder Stibbins etc are all awesome though - and Hex!). But my favourites are either Susan Sto Helit or Moist von Lipwig books - I love those characters to pieces :D

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 12:48:22 pm »
I always enjoy Susan - Thief of Time was a great book, and I just got done rereading Soul Music. I can't say I dislike all the Death books - Reaper Man was an awesome read. Death having an existential crisis? Ha!!

Kitty

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 03:35:01 am »
Gotta love DEATH, who can't like a skeleton who rides a horse called Binky?

Got to say for me its the UU books that really make me smile, I love the Dean, man after my own heart
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 11:41:41 am »
Yeah, Terry Pratchett isn't for everyone (but he is for me :))). Conversely I am ok with the Night Watch stuff but I really love the witches and Death. I also like the wizards mostly except I am a little sick of Rincewind (Ridcully, Ponder Stibbins etc are all awesome though - and Hex!). But my favourites are either Susan Sto Helit or Moist von Lipwig books - I love those characters to pieces :D

I knew you were my sister from another mister?  Maybe.  Still working on that phrase.  :P 

LOVED the whole Witches Abroad saga, and Moist is topped only by Vimes for me - recent Vimes.  I was kind of eh about the Night Watch until ... I think it was the Fifth Elephant.  Really did NOT like Monstrous Regiment (far too predictable and actually bored me).
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

Cam

• Lurker
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 02:26:09 pm »

I knew you were my sister from another mister?  Maybe.  Still working on that phrase.  :P 

This is off-topic, but...BAHAHA. LOVE that phrase. Mind if I use it?

Kitty

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2012, 02:28:10 pm »
I like Monstrous Regiment (especially considering where the title is taken from) but there was so much more he could have played with there, but I was picking up on a lot of little in jokes about the army.  I think he should revisit that group of girls and really play with it.

as to writing ideas, started work on the discworld/EE cross over at work today (I asked for more work, got nothing so had 3 hours to kill).  Going ish.  Not happy with it as Nanny Ogg just won't do as she's told.  as ever.

riamachia

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2012, 08:22:25 pm »

This is off-topic, but...BAHAHA. LOVE that phrase. Mind if I use it?
hahaha Sure!  I expect royalties any time anyone else starts picking it up though!
Maria
"It's her eyes."

sweartoad

• I'm on DeviantArt (occasionally)
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 04:23:59 am »

LOVED the whole Witches Abroad saga, and Moist is topped only by Vimes for me - recent Vimes.  I was kind of eh about the Night Watch until ... I think it was the Fifth Elephant.  Really did NOT like Monstrous Regiment (far too predictable and actually bored me).

Yeah recent Vimes is the bomb. I really liked him in Snuff, actually, but yes basically from Fifth Elephant onwards. I also did not like Monsterous Regiment! It was the only one I've had to try and read a couple of times because I hit the middle and I'm like ... bored.

All I can say is, thank god we haven't had a book solely about Carrot because then I would actually have to kill myself. Really not a fan of him. He's way too mind-numbing.

But yeah Moist = fave, followed closely by Susan. Death and Vetinari have equal third for me. Both were dropped in a vat of amazing and came out more awesome than awesomesauce.

We could totally be twins ;)

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2012, 08:07:47 am »
I liked Monstrous Regiment but my stepdad was in the Air Force. Maybe that helps? Jackrum saved it for me, though. I'll admit that the other characters were kind of boring and the plot tired.

Thud! is probably my favorite Pratchett book with Vimes in it.

Kitty

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 08:15:12 am »
I love Men At Arms in the Guards series.  But then I love Angua and her ascerbic asides

riamachia

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 05:39:32 am »
We could totally be twins ;)

lol - now what would your sister say to THAT?
Maria
"It's her eyes."

Kitty

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 07:33:50 am »
triplets?