Author Topic: EE5 *non-goofy* predictions  (Read 32628 times)

AKK

• Before & After & Inbetween - Physicist on the Rampage
Re: EE5 *non-goofy* predictions
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 08:05:38 am »
I also hope we do see more emoting on Sicarius's part before and after he saves Am.  Do you think his facade will crack once he realises what happened to her?  The only time we really saw him lost his calm was when he knew Sespian was in danger.  I think maybe it'll happen again...

True story: the real reason I started this thread was because I started imagining the reunion scene between Am and Sic once she's rescued from Pike (or escapes).

We want hugs!!

Oh yes, we want hug!  I hope that particular reunion scene is... well, maybe not teary, but definitely emotionnal.

Well, Am's time in Pike's care could also turn out as a physical reminder of what Sicarius actually did (and sometimes still does). So far, she knows the interrogation/questioning part only intellectually. While she's been confronted directly with clean kills (her former partner, the gun factory soldiers), interrogation is quite a different matter in that regard.
So her behavior might depend on what and how she will observe, face, and/or endure in addition. It might well add a layer of her knowledge (or should I say perspective) about him.
"You are not cleared for that."

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
  • The plot bunnies, they will not leave me alone!!!
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 08:19:11 am »
I can agree it will definitely shake her.  Sometimes, I think Amaranthe doesn't want to think about what Sicarius truly is, and being Pike's prisoner will bring the point home to her about what exactly Sicarius is capable of.  It might take some time to get over it.  On the other hand, I think it will shake Sicarius up too.  It might just be a big step into the whole redemption thing for him, realising the hurt he's done.  I don't know... maybe I'm thinking too much into it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:33:55 am by Moondreamer »
"You have a disturbing sense of humor."
http://www.nault-findley.com/

AKK

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 08:25:58 am »
I can agree it will definitely shake her.  Sometimes, I think Amaranthe doesn't want to think about what Sicarius truly is, and being Pike's prisoner will bring the point home to her about what exactly Sicarius is capable of.  I might take some time to get over it.  On the other hand, I think it will shake Sicarius up too.  It might just be a big step into the whole redemption thing for him, realising the hurt he's done.  I don't know... maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

It certainly is an opportunity for them to get more realistic perceptions of each other and themselves.
It's actually the one detail of which I'm really curious. There are so many angles and possibilities Lindsay could explore in it or use it for... impossible to tell which one it's officially going to be.

judy

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 08:46:04 am »
I can agree it will definitely shake her.  Sometimes, I think Amaranthe doesn't want to think about what Sicarius truly is, and being Pike's prisoner will bring the point home to her about what exactly Sicarius is capable of.  I might take some time to get over it.  On the other hand, I think it will shake Sicarius up too.  It might just be a big step into the whole redemption thing for him, realising the hurt he's done.  I don't know... maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

It certainly is an opportunity for them to get more realistic perceptions of each other and themselves.
It's actually the one detail of which I'm really curious. There are so many angles and possibilities Lindsay could explore in it or use it for... impossible to tell which one it's officially going to be.

I think Amaranthe probably has a fairly good idea of what Pike is capable of doing. Having just read the chapter where Sicarius first describes Pike very carefully (see ch 7 thread) there's a part where she stares at him for a long time wondering about all the horrible things that Pike put him through. And Sicarius's line about dissociating his mind when "it needed to be elsewhere." (when did he first say this, by the way?) It seems more in line with Amaranthe's character that whatever horrible things happen, she will mostly just feel more sympathy for Sicarius.

And is there evidence that he's had any non-clean kills since joining Amaranthe? Do you think he interrogated the Forge members before killing them? It doesn't seem like he had enough time for that.
It's possible we remember the events a little differently.

AKK

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 08:49:06 am »
I think Amaranthe probably has a fairly good idea of what Pike is capable of doing. Having just read the chapter where Sicarius first describes Pike very carefully (see ch 7 thread) there's a part where she stares at him for a long time wondering about all the horrible things that Pike put him through. And Sicarius's line about dissociating his mind when "it needed to be elsewhere." (when did he first say this, by the way?) It seems more in line with Amaranthe's character that whatever horrible things happen, she will mostly just feel more sympathy for Sicarius.

And is there evidence that he's had any non-clean kills since joining Amaranthe? Do you think he interrogated the Forge members before killing them? It doesn't seem like he had enough time for that.

Yes,  but having an idea is not the same as having the memory, involving impressions of all five senses. I don't think it's important for Am's reaction (if that angle is chosen) that he actually did interrogate anyone in the time since he joined the team, important is that he could if he deemed it useful.

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 08:50:23 am »
Weel, Am knows, or at least suspect, what Pike has done TO Sicarius.  What I think she might not fully grasp is what Pike had Sicarius do to others.  His most gruesome kills since meeting her (like that eyeball on a stick in EE3, or his killing spree in EE4) were done while she wasn't there to see it, and in the first case, she doesn't know it's even happened.  But, I think that, as part of psychologically breaking her, Pike might just get chatty about his time training Sicarius and she might learn things she really didn't want to.  I would see PIke doing that if he ever realise Am cares for Sicarius.  Sometimes, mental torture can be worse than physical pain...

AKK

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2012, 08:52:13 am »
Sometimes, mental torture can be worse than physical pain...

Exactly.

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2012, 08:54:21 am »
even the effects of mental torture can be defeated but it takes month or years rather than weeks.  but that last spoiler scene in the truck, Am and Sicarius are pretty close, so i htink they still have their understanding
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

judy

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2012, 08:55:07 am »

Yes,  but having an idea is not the same as having the memory, involving impressions of all five senses. I don't think it's important for Am's reaction (if that angle is chosen) that he actually did interrogate anyone in the time since he joined the team, important is that he could if he deemed it useful.

But doesn't it count for something that he's shown so much restraint?

Amusingly, as far as actual memory storage and replay goes in neural circuits, ideas and memory may not be biologically that far off... Key to salience of memory storage is the emotional context, so you're probably right that there'd be a significant difference in degree. But not in kind.

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2012, 08:58:33 am »
Oh, it definitely counts that he's shown restraint.  I'm not saying it will break their budding relationship appart, but it does mean she'll have some thinking to do.  I'm not sure how her time being Pike's prisoner will play out, a lot of it will depend on how long it is. But, a beta reader has already said EE5 is going to be a little darker than what we've been used to till now, so I'm expecting a pretty shaken up Am when she is finally rescued/manage to escape.  Maybe that'll allow Sicarius to show a gentler side of himself.  I'm also thinking we'll learn a lot more about his early years.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:06:05 am by Moondreamer »

AKK

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2012, 09:00:52 am »
Oh, it definitely counts that he's shown restraint.  I'm not saying it will break their budding relationship appart, but it does mean she'll have some thinking to do.  I'm not sure how her time being Pike's prisoner will play out, a lot of it will depend on how long it is. But, a beta reader has already said EE5 is going to be a little darker than what we've been used to till now, so I'm expecting a pretty shaken up Am when she is finally rescued/manage to escape.  Maybe that'll allow Saciurs to show a gentler side of himself.  I'm also thinking we'll learn a lot more about his early years.

Yes, and I hope that Am gets a clearer perspective. She was a tad too easily forgiving in Conspiracy
Spoiler
for the killing spree

judy

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2012, 09:04:44 am »
Oh, it definitely counts that he's shown restraint.  I'm not saying it will break their budding relationship appart, but it does mean she'll have some thinking to do.  I'm not sure how her time being Pike's prisoner will play out, a lot of it will depend on how long it is. But, a beta reader has already said EE5 is going to be a little darker than what we've been used to till now, so I'm expecting a pretty shaken up Am when she is finally rescued/manage to escape.  Maybe that'll allow Saciurs to show a gentler side of himself.  I'm also thinking we'll learn a lot more about his early years.

Yes, and I hope that Am gets a clearer perspective. She was a tad too easily forgiving in Conspiracy
Spoiler
for the killing spree

No kidding! It's like she doesn't hold him accountable for anything because he was trained to be that way. And because he doesn't know how to deal with emotions. Same with the weapons manufacturers. She forgives him when she sees that he did it to protect her.

AKK

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2012, 09:07:47 am »

Spoiler
for the killing spree

No kidding! It's like she doesn't hold him accountable for anything because he was trained to be that way. And because he doesn't know how to deal with emotions. Same with the weapons manufacturers. She forgives him when she sees that he did it to protect her.

I admit, the weapon manufacturers fall in my category of "to do what's necessary to get out of it alive". They tried to trap them and tried to kill them. Sneaking out without doing harm wouldn't have been my choice there, either.

The Forge list is a different matter, though. Despite the bug, they weren't an active threat. Not even a confirmed inactive threat in some cases, so... no excuse.

sweartoad

• I'm on DeviantArt (occasionally)
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2012, 09:12:37 am »
Look, rape hasn't exactly been a taboo subject in Lindsay's stuff - I'm pretty sure Kali burned one of the air pirates alive after he tried it on with her (and succeeded with the other Indian girl).

Anyway I'm hoping Amaranthe will be the one to stick it to Pike. Especially since we know his knife will be on the cover of EE5 ...

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2012, 09:15:45 am »
I agree, rape definitely isn't taboo in her books.  Pike still might try something, altho more as a torture method than for real sexual interrest.  And I SO hope she does kill him for what he put Sicarius through (even if we don't really know what that was yet).  It would be a good balance for the times Sicarius has saved her.  It would be saving him from his own past instead of an immediate threat of course, but would be a significant gesture I think.