Author Topic: If you've read EE5 -- Pike's torture and Sicarius  (Read 6906 times)

Sara M.

Re: If you've read EE5 -- Pike's torture and Sicarius
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 08:24:42 pm »
On Pike's torture to Sicarius, after reading those chapters my opinion of Sicarius has changed a lot. I didn't think a lot about it, but I'm wondering what kept him going until that sense of duty was drilled into him. Only survival instinct? How was he not suicidal?? He is not vengeful or anything either.

Also
Spoiler
before they met in Chapter 13, I was very skeptical about a lasting relationship with Amaranthe. I wasn't expecting his confessions at all.

I think he was, in the beginning. He was probably kept under watch and locked up so he couldn't hurt himself. Or maybe it didn't occur to him. He grew up with this; he's never known anything else, and he was probably very isolated. I wondered about that too, though, especially the being vengeful part, and I think it shows a lot of wisdom and maturity on his part. At what point did he decide that the past was the past, and that he should move forward? It probably had a lot to do with Sespian, but I don't think I'd be able to put that behind me.

Me either.

I'd love to know how Pike got that scar.

Meera

• Frosted Buns Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 08:25:59 pm »
On Pike's torture to Sicarius, after reading those chapters my opinion of Sicarius has changed a lot. I didn't think a lot about it, but I'm wondering what kept him going until that sense of duty was drilled into him. Only survival instinct? How was he not suicidal?? He is not vengeful or anything either.

Also
Spoiler
before they met in Chapter 13, I was very skeptical about a lasting relationship with Amaranthe. I wasn't expecting his confessions at all.

I think he was, in the beginning. He was probably kept under watch and locked up so he couldn't hurt himself. Or maybe it didn't occur to him. He grew up with this; he's never known anything else, and he was probably very isolated. I wondered about that too, though, especially the being vengeful part, and I think it shows a lot of wisdom and maturity on his part. At what point did he decide that the past was the past, and that he should move forward? It probably had a lot to do with Sespian, but I don't think I'd be able to put that behind me.

Me either.

Yeah. And how old Sic was. And if Pike stopped "training" him after that.
"All right, girl, we are not going to be attracted to the amoral assassin."

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
  • The plot bunnies, they will not leave me alone!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 08:26:59 pm »

Also
Spoiler

Me either.

Yeah. And how old Sic was. And if Pike stopped "training" him after that.

Well, it's not exactly true canon... but something about that should be posted soon...
"You have a disturbing sense of humor."
http://www.nault-findley.com/

Aamartin

• "Eek! My eyebrows are quirking!!'
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 08:49:55 pm »
If was starting to feel a little pissed with Sic in EE4, but I am totally back in his camp now. I've been wanting him to grow up a little and I got a lot of that, more than I even hoped for, from EE5.

I think that he's still got a long way to go, but that he can be good for Am and he can have something kind of sort of like a normal life.

And what's up with this 'he's almost over the hill' stuff? Seriously? Starcrest was 7-10 years older in Encrypted than Sic is in EE, and Starcrest is totally bonecrushingly hot. (Can you deny it?)
"Perhaps you have not been assiduous enough with your training."

@martinameliaa

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 08:59:10 pm »
Starcrest reminds me so much of Harrison Ford.  When he was younger, he was stunning...and even as get gets older, he's SO DAMN HOT. 

Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

Aamartin

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 09:01:07 pm »
When it comes to hot older men, I'm more of a Sean Connery gal, myself.

@martinameliaa

riamachia

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 09:05:49 pm »

I got the impression that one day Pike tried to rape him and Sicarius slashed him.  End of rape.
Maria
"It's her eyes."

Meera

• Frosted Buns Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 09:07:52 pm »

I got the impression that one day Pike tried to rape him and Sicarius slashed him.  End of rape.

But what made him lash out and do it? And why not before?
"All right, girl, we are not going to be attracted to the amoral assassin."

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 09:08:30 pm »

That's pretty much what I gleaned
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

maggiej117

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 09:08:55 pm »

I like that idea.. *Slashes at Pike with knife* "F**k off. Forever"

Something along  what I'm imagining :)

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 09:38:52 pm »
For some reason, I don't think it was a one time thing... but at some point, Sic got big enough that he retaliated... and then it stopped.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:20:33 pm by Moondreamer »

riamachia

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 10:19:16 pm »
But what made him lash out and do it? And why not before?

Oh, I'm sure he had tried before.  That was probably part of the training; pointing out to him that he wasn't good enough to defend himself.  When he was, it stopped because Pike didn't feel like dying.
Maria
"It's her eyes."

exstock

• Carnivorous
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 11:46:21 am »
I'm trying to work out the timeline; Pike was de-crested at some point, and it was because he went too far with his brutality.  Perhaps at around the same time that Sicarius scarred him?  Perhaps the two events aren't unconnected...?

Also, in a sad-but-human-nature kind of way, I'm thinking that a big reason that Sicarius was able to open up more to Amaranthe is precisely because she went through some of the same things he went through, at the hands of the same person. 
"I'm getting my turtleneck. I'm not defusing a bomb in this!"

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 11:49:31 am »
AS for the timeline, I always thought Pike lost his crest, then became Imperial interrogator, and only then did he meet Sicarius and trained him. So, it would have been before he got the scar. But now, I'm not so sure anymore, I would need to reread the books.

Aamartin

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 11:49:50 am »
I think that Sic explained, maybe in EE4, that Pike was decrested and then came to work for the emperor.

@martinameliaa