Author Topic: Basilard and Sicarius  (Read 8415 times)

tara32

Basilard and Sicarius
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:54:48 pm »
After reading EE5, I like Bas even more.  Is it just me or is he a very emotionally smarit character? I think he of all of the team, except Amaranthe understands Sicarius the best.  They both have been forced to fight, Sic by his upbringing, and Bas by being a pit fighter.  Bas had the happy life but when he had to break his moral code to live he did.  I guess what I am wandering is if anyone else has been intrigued by Bas and Sic relationship, and hos it has gone from hate to more of a mutual respect?  (Bas was the only one other than Am lookig for Sic at thr end and Sic acknowledged Bas was competent fighter). 

somehow I just imagine bas standing guard duty while sic  and am visit th
e bath tub.....

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
Re: Basilard and Sicarius
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:59:15 pm »
Haa @ Bas guarding Tubtime With Am and Sic ;D

I think the underwater lab did a lot to change Bas's opinion of Sicarius in general. Bas was the only other team memeber besides Books to find out that Am means a lot more than 'just a boss' to Sicarius when Sic admits to him that he was captured because he didn't want to return without the answers Am wanted. Bas is also a little bit more world-wise in general, and knows that sometimes life forces you into a mold and makes you something you'd rather not be.
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

tara32

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 12:11:32 am »
Exactly! books is pretty black and white and judgements, Mal is too busy playing like hes dumb to notice anything (they would have to make out in front of him to get the hint, and then he woukd give Sic pointers on his technique), Akstyr is, well, Akstyr! Plus, bas cant talk as easily and probably has learned to pay more attention to the things around him.  I think he has definately seen more of Sicarius changing - and has the life experience to actually.recognize it
for what it is

I wander how old Bas daughter is, maybe Sespian could win allies thru marriage..

Meera

• Frosted Buns Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:17:33 am »
Lol. Why do you think I initially suggested that they become a couple?  :P

But in all seriousness, Bas is practical, much like Sicarius (example: his being ok with the Sicarius Bars), and he knows what it's like to have to do unpleasant things to stay alive. And I agree with what Cael said about him understanding how you can become something you don't want to because of life circumstances. But I also think a big part of this is the fact that he can't speak. Yes, he can do hand motions, but that's not as automatic as speaking, and it requires a bit more effort. He's gotten used to being observant, of  people and how they interact around him, and I think that's why he sees more than, say, Mal. His appearance is another thing. Most people (probably) shy away from him with his scars and fierce demeanor. Sicarius and his knives get much the same reaction, though it's heightened considerably. :D
"All right, girl, we are not going to be attracted to the amoral assassin."

AKK

• Before & After & Inbetween - Physicist on the Rampage
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 02:15:23 am »
Another aspect might also come from the angle Amaranthe told Bas, about instead of seeking revenge for the harm done in the past, he ought to become a better person so that no other people get hurt in the future, as repentance for his violation of his believes.
In the underwater lab, Bas noticed how far even Sic changed already. And if somebody raised to be a killer can change, then there might be hope for himself, who'd been made a killer much later in life. In combination with his -- as was already said eloquently above -- knowledge of how far the wish to survive can drive you off the morally right path, that's some pretty strong incentive / hint to look past the skin level. :)
"You are not cleared for that."

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 05:50:16 am »
People do a lot of things they don't want to do if it means living to see another sunrise, "Alive" for example.

I liked Bas before but it took till EE5 for him to really jump off the page for me.  Out of everyone on the team I think Books and Bas know about the relationship between Amaranthe and Sicarius (Books in bk2 of course and Bas bk3) and although in book 5 (I don't think its a spoiler but just in case)
Spoiler
Books knows about Sespian I think Bas isn't too far behind in the enlightenment.

I didn't get the feeling Bas was 100% behind the whole get rid of Sicarius in book 3 and he was the one to propose it.  I think if he was 100% for Sicarius' removal that he would have tried harder.
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."

AKK

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 06:12:49 am »
People do a lot of things they don't want to do if it means living to see another sunrise, "Alive" for example.

I didn't get the feeling Bas was 100% behind the whole get rid of Sicarius in book 3 and he was the one to propose it.  I think if he was 100% for Sicarius' removal that he would have tried harder.

Exactly. And of the assembled group, Bas is the one aware of that, while Books' understanding is rather limited in that regard.

Regarding his kill Sicarius plot: it's as wrong in Bas's moral code as what he did to survive the pitfights, but with less direct justification (survival), and then Am offered him a different, less morally questionable way to make amends for his wrongdoing. In the underwater lab he got a glimpse that she might have a point/ a chance there. :)

judy

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 06:59:44 am »

I wander how old Bas daughter is, maybe Sespian could win allies thru marriage..

I think Bas told Am in 3 that his daughteris 10.
It's possible we remember the events a little differently.

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 07:09:47 am »
I think, looking at the whole team, Bas is definitely the most intelligent one there.  Books is intelligent in an academic way but can be very closed minded.  Bas on the other hand is always watching, listening and thinking away.  Thats why he appeals so much, and i htink thats why he's the one to get one best with Sic other than Am.  He has watched, learnt, made one judgement then rethought it through and questioned it, before altering that judgement.  Bas learns and questions everything around him in a way the other characters don't.

I'd love more of his thinking and influence on Sic in book 6
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 07:25:50 am »
I think, looking at the whole team, Bas is definitely the most intelligent one there.  Books is intelligent in an academic way but can be very closed minded.  Bas on the other hand is always watching, listening and thinking away.  Thats why he appeals so much, and i htink thats why he's the one to get one best with Sic other than Am.  He has watched, learnt, made one judgement then rethought it through and questioned it, before altering that judgement.  Bas learns and questions everything around him in a way the other characters don't.

Now wouldn't that be a sight "Uh Sicarius, I see you FUBARing it with Amaranthe... Here's my advice: Grand-da once said...." :)
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."

AKK

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 07:28:57 am »
Now wouldn't that be a sight "Uh Sicarius, I see you FUBARing it with Amaranthe... Here's my advice: Grand-da once said...." :)

FUBARing ???

sweartoad

• I'm on DeviantArt (occasionally)
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 07:38:01 am »
FUBAR: f---ing up beyond all reason.

AKK

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 07:47:29 am »

As I do with English idioms. Tnx :)

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 07:55:07 am »

I've always heard it as 'repair' ;)
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

Aamartin

• "Eek! My eyebrows are quirking!!'
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 08:22:02 am »

:D
"Perhaps you have not been assiduous enough with your training."

@martinameliaa