Author Topic: Peer Pressure: Everyone else is writing a book; are you?  (Read 11350 times)

Sara M.

Re: Peer Pressure: Everyone else is writing a book; are you?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 06:13:28 pm »
Ha, I wish. I don't have enough free time or dedication to actually *finish* a book.

I'm impressed by those of you who have (or are trying to!). There is some great writing in the fan fiction section. I'd love to read more from you all.

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 06:19:56 pm »
I have the attention span of a squirrel on crack. I'm lucky if I finish one-shots, let alone an actual full-length story. Of course, I generally write in categories that doesn't get much foot traffic, so there's little incentive to actually finish
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

maggiej117

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 06:20:22 pm »
I feel like the title of this thread could be the title of a book.

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
  • The plot bunnies, they will not leave me alone!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 06:31:20 pm »
I have the attention span of a squirrel on crack. I'm lucky if I finish one-shots, let alone an actual full-length story. Of course, I generally write in categories that doesn't get much foot traffic, so there's little incentive to actually finish

My biggest problem too. If I ever finish RaM, it will already be an achievement...
"You have a disturbing sense of humor."
http://www.nault-findley.com/

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 06:33:35 pm »

My biggest problem too. If I ever finish RaM, it will already be an achievement...

Heh, my husband and I started collaborating on a sweeping epic based on the first Guild Wars game, but so far the only thing that's actually come out of it are notebooks full of character backgrounds/futures and the one shots I've done about the 'main' couple (his Necromancer and my Elementalist)
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

sweartoad

• I'm on DeviantArt (occasionally)
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 06:46:24 pm »
I have a few characters who have been in my head pretty consistently since I was about ten/eleven. They've undergone identity changes and have been everything from pirates to aliens to vampires and fairies (what can I say, younger me was easily swayed by YA trends :D) but they're the same 'people' I thought up over ten years ago (if you look on the interwebs you could probably find a pirate story with them in it by me too :)))

I used to think I would get this out as a trilogy but I am now actually thinking of doing a graphic novel with them. I'm a little scared though - it's a massive workload and I actually don't think I have the skills for it  :-\

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 06:48:53 pm »
(if you look on the interwebs you could probably find a pirate story with them in it by me too :)))

SCAVENGER HUNT!!!!!!
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 06:50:11 pm »
I win!!!!!

(Should I worry that you named a character after me BEFORE you met me?)   ;)
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 06:51:59 pm »
I have a few characters who have been in my head pretty consistently since I was about ten/eleven. They've undergone identity changes and have been everything from pirates to aliens to vampires and fairies (what can I say, younger me was easily swayed by YA trends :D) but they're the same 'people' I thought up over ten years ago (if you look on the interwebs you could probably find a pirate story with them in it by me too :)))

I used to think I would get this out as a trilogy but I am now actually thinking of doing a graphic novel with them. I'm a little scared though - it's a massive workload and I actually don't think I have the skills for it  :-\

You totally have the talent for it.
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."

sweartoad

• I'm on DeviantArt (occasionally)
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 07:00:04 pm »
I win!!!!!

(Should I worry that you named a character after me BEFORE you met me?)   ;)

LOL! Ok let me just preface that discovery by saying that I wrote that when I was 15 and may have very heavily borrowed some plot points from Garth Nix's Abhorsen series. Also, sorry - her name's changed since then :o

Sara M.

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 07:13:18 pm »

You totally have the talent for it.

You absolutely do!

kchighley

• Evil Overlord, cat lover, warrior of the red pen.
    • Yeah, here I am
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 08:15:25 pm »
Hi, my name is Kendra and I have EIGHT completed novels in a drawer. I have 4 more half-finished ones. It took LB more than a year to convince me to let one out into the wild.

If your soul says write, write. Whether you publish or not, it's the words that count. Ive been happier (and healthier, believe it or not) since I finally started writing in earnest after dabbling for a long time. Just an outlet I needed, I guess.
"Should we take their clothes?"
"To what end?"
"....Pockets?"

Find me on Facebook

Sara M.

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 08:20:53 pm »
Hi, my name is Kendra and I have EIGHT completed novels in a drawer. I have 4 more half-finished ones. It took LB more than a year to convince me to let one out into the wild.

If your soul says write, write. Whether you publish or not, it's the words that count. Ive been happier (and healthier, believe it or not) since I finally started writing in earnest after dabbling for a long time. Just an outlet I needed, I guess.

Wow! That is amazing. Are you planning to release them all? Or do you just consider them practice?

kchighley

• Yeah, here I am
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 08:31:39 pm »

Wow! That is amazing. Are you planning to release them all? Or do you just consider them practice?

I'll probably release a few, but some will never see the light of day.  :) And that's a very good thing, LOL!
"To what end?"
"....Pockets?"

Find me on Facebook

kchighley

• Yeah, here I am
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 08:32:53 pm »

A Sweartoad graphic novel? I'd buy that!
"To what end?"
"....Pockets?"

Find me on Facebook