Author Topic: I totally and wholeheartedly recommend...  (Read 42573 times)

exstock

• Carnivorous
Re: I totally and wholeheartedly recommend...
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 10:53:46 pm »
I knew there were going to be soooo many things I forgot when I made my list.  Like, duh, I love the Potter books, which the husband and I refer to as Potman.  And duh, I love the Anne of Green Gables stuff, and have very happy memories of my visit to PEI and the actual tourist-trap Green Gables.  Also, duh, I love Georgette Heyer's Regency stuff, particularly The Grand Sophy. 

Also, I was heavily into science fiction as a youngster, and therefore read and re-read all the Heinlein, even the weird stuff that feels more like fanfic, and discovered the Retief series by Keith Laumer, which really should not be allowed to fade from history on account of severe (though spotty) awesomeness.

I just know I'll remember a whole bunch more as soon as I hit the Post button!

ETA: Yup, another duh: The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkien, and of course, the Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:56:59 pm by exstock »
"I'm getting my turtleneck. I'm not defusing a bomb in this!"

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 10:58:09 pm »
I read a lot of  L'Amour in elementary school for our Accelerated Reading program, after I ram out of more 'age/gender appropriate' books. I may have to go back and reread them!

Also, I forgot to put Calvin and Hobbes up there! I have all the compilations and love reading them over and over - its nice to unwind and fall into Calvin's imagination.

I'll also pick up any of the Dragonriders of Pern books by Anne McCaffrey (NOT her son... Ugh). I especially love the Harper Hall series, and the Masterharper of Pern is one of my favorite books. Robinton is such an amazing character.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:43:56 pm by Cael »
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

exstock

• Carnivorous
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 11:09:05 pm »
I was so disappointed when I read on Robin McKinley's website that she knew more of the Damar story but had no immediate plans to write it.

http://www.robinmckinley.com/faq/faq.php?q_id=19

Painful, indeed!  But as balm, a not-a-sequel to Sunshine has been about to come out for several years now, and may actually arrive someday: Albion. 

*jitters like a young child that needs to go to the bathroom*

Sara M.

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 11:28:18 pm »
I was so disappointed when I read on Robin McKinley's website that she knew more of the Damar story but had no immediate plans to write it.

http://www.robinmckinley.com/faq/faq.php?q_id=19

Painful, indeed!  But as balm, a not-a-sequel to Sunshine has been about to come out for several years now, and may actually arrive someday: Albion. 

*jitters like a young child that needs to go to the bathroom*

Gah! I did not know that. I WISH she would give straightforward answers. Is she writing it? Is it written? Is it all in her head? Who the heck can tell from that blog?

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 11:32:09 pm »
I read as an afterword somewhere that she wanted to write it, but something was stopping her? I want to say it was the afterword for Sunshine, even
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

exstock

• Carnivorous
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 11:34:00 pm »
Who the heck can tell from that blog?
No kidding.  I just go to her blog and search for "albion" every few months.  Every time I do, there's generally 2 or 3 new posts of the "I swear it's still coming" variety, but this has been going on since at least 2006, so....

Sara M.

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 11:35:34 pm »
The worst part is none of her new stuff really appeals to me. I keep waiting for her to go back to the older stuff, and it just doesn't happen. Ah, well.

exstock

• Carnivorous
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 02:41:45 am »
Speaking of sequels, any opinions on Buttercup's Baby (sequel to Princess Bride)?  Do you think it will happen?  Should it?

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 03:17:48 am »
Hmm tryign to recall as my reading has lapsed badly int he last few years, that and poor finances ???

Obviously Pratchett's Discworld (new book out today, which is alternate Victorian London - yey!).  Of his stand alones I think Island has stuck in my mind the most, I've read it once and can't yet face to go back to it as its so powerful, with so much emotion in as it was the first release after he announced he had Alzheimers.

The Narnia books are just magical, and I do like playing spot the religious element.

Howls Moving Castle - i don't associate it with the movie at all and treat them as seperate entities, and love each for its own worth.

I do like early Jack Higgins books - very thriller type.  His books that have come out in the last 15 years or so have got very forumlaic, but then he also has a brain condition that makes writing difficult so i let it slide.

Afraid i am a bugger for history books, so well written stuff on the Tudors (particularly the 6 wives or Elizabeth) and the Dambusters Raid.
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 06:04:02 am »
Speaking of sequels, any opinions on Buttercup's Baby (sequel to Princess Bride)?  Do you think it will happen?  Should it?

This actually made me shudder.  I love the movie, but was horribly disappointed by the book.  I've never heard of this, but I think The Princess Bride should be left alone and unblemished in its magnificence.
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

moldynotgo

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 06:17:34 am »
I'll also pick up any of the Dragonriders of Pern books by Anne McCaffrey (NOT her son... Ugh). I especially love the Harper Hall series, and the Masterharpee of Pern is one of my favorite books. Robinton is such an amazing character.

Yes. This. :)

This actually made me shudder.  I love the movie, but was horribly disappointed by the book.  I've never heard of this, but I think The Princess Bride should be left alone and unblemished in its magnificence.

Ria Ria Ria... No no no. Clearly, you must have read some cut-rate, IMITATION of The Princess Bride, because you never would have felt that way if you'd read the REAL one.

;)

EEfangirl

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 07:26:53 am »
Laurie R. King's Mary Russell mysteries (a new one just came out! It's awesome.)
David Eddings, anything
Gunnerkrigg Court (an online and print graphic novel. You can read it from the beginning at www.gunnerkrigg.com)
The Night Circus
Madeleine L'Engle (so sad she died. :o(  ) 

And, honestly, I'm such a geek that I read both jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice at least once a year and have seen every single movie version of each.

AndreDias

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 07:27:27 am »
I only have one suggestion for reread:

Daughter of Blood by Anne Bishop and subsequent novels within the Black Jewels Universe. By far, some of the greatest fiction work I have ever read. Her characters are incredibly real, they jump off the pages. The world is luxurious and seductive.

AndreDias

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 07:28:19 am »
And I'd love to know why the forum cuts my post in half every time I try to post a reply here...

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 09:30:39 am »
cos its your turn to be picked on, was mine the week before last.  the Gremlins are very democratic like that
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.