Author Topic: I totally and wholeheartedly recommend...  (Read 38823 times)

adamai

Re: I totally and wholeheartedly recommend...
« Reply #225 on: July 29, 2013, 03:39:22 am »
Has anyone mentioned War of the Princes series (two books so far, Haven and Dragoon) by A. R. Ivanovich? Having finished FiB2, I was -feeling empty inside- browsing Kindle books and Amazon suggested them to me :) It is YA, but I was pleasantly surprised. There were too many long descriptive paragraphs that didn't add to the story much. But I really liked the dark steampunk/supernatural world, and the characters.

kbsparks

« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2013, 11:27:00 am »
This is my first post!  I just joined as I just discovered the EE series last week (staying away from those boards until I finish #6 and #7).  I LOVE this thread and all the new books to add to my TBR list.  I downloaded City of Blaze just now and I am adding Rivers of London as my next book.  Thanks!

I did not see the Finnikin of the Rock books on here.  There are three of them, Finnikin of the Rock, Froi of the Exiles and Quintana of Charyn.  They are high fantasy and in my opinion, perfect.  Check them out.

~Kelly~

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #227 on: July 31, 2013, 01:30:22 pm »
welcome to the forum Kelly.  enjoy the books :D
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

South1

« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2013, 08:20:52 pm »
The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory!! I've read it like 4 times this year and I just can't stop!
What does the winter bring if not yet another spring?

K2N2

« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2013, 10:35:01 am »
Don't feel strange about reading YA labeled books.  Good writing is good writing regardless of the label.  Some of the best books I've read have been handed to me by my kids.

blackmetallic

« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2013, 10:43:09 am »
Don't feel strange about reading YA labeled books.  Good writing is good writing regardless of the label.  Some of the best books I've read have been handed to me by my kids.
I've had really bad luck with YA novels. For some reason I always pick up the preachy, badly written ones and have to give up in the first 25 pages because I just can't read drivel. The only ones I've genuinely liked have been by Neil Gaiman, but only because it IS like you said - good writing is good writing, YA or not.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather

K2N2

« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2013, 07:02:18 pm »
For some reason I always pick up the preachy, badly written ones and have to give up in the first 25 pages because I just can't read drivel.

I'm lucky that way.  I have an "in house" filtering system that works rather well in the form of my kids.  I must have done something right cause they have relatively good taste in fiction. 

ndngirl

• "Whatever you wish, Amaranthe" - Sicarius
  • JenT
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2013, 12:59:35 pm »
has anyone read Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis? Thoughts?
""Yes" He kissed her on the neck, and the warmth of his lips sent a wave of heat through her." Sicarius and Amaranthe
Conspiracy

K2N2

« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2013, 10:41:48 am »
Read it a very long time ago in my teens.  I only vaguely remember that I read it, it was science fiction, its the first of a trilogy and I think its allegorical though not as heavy handed as Narnia.  Since I read allot and can remember the plot/setting about most of the books I read; the fact that I can't dredge up any more information tells me that it didn't make a very big impression.  On the other hand, C.S. Lewis is a good writer and very few folks bother with his stuff outside the Narnia series.  I've enjoyed other stuff he wrote so its worth a shot especially if you can get an inexpensive copy.

SPYforYOU

« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2013, 09:20:20 pm »
I have to say Unwind by Neil Shusterman is one of the most thought provoking books I've read in a while, with just the right amount of romance.

Also Eon and Eona by Alison Goodman. Set in a old time Asian world with Dragons. It's pretty amazing. And I love how the main female protagonist doesn't always make the right choices or have noble characteristics.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my favorite coming of age stories. The words and prose just flows together so perfectly and smoothly. A bunch of childhood scenes woven together perfectly with the girl's own thoughts, flashbacks, and observations.
Party the hardest on Wednesdays :)

SPYforYOU

« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2013, 09:22:38 pm »
This thread is one that I shouldn't have discovered. Very bad for the credit card.

Me too. I'm glad I got some gift cards for my birthday otherwise I'd be screwed...
Party the hardest on Wednesdays :)

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #236 on: December 13, 2013, 10:10:28 pm »
Some (FREE) recommendations:

Castles: A Fictional Memoir of a Girl with Scissors - Disturbing, but poignant. It's a great book I highly recommend. Not for everyone...
Silver Bells - Cute and Christmas-y. Feel-good story to make you smile :)
Northern Exposure (Compass Brothers) - 18+ folks. Nuff said. (M/M/F)
Book of Deacon - Slow going in the beginning, but it picks up if you stick it out. Editing is a bit iffy, so watch out for that.
The Glass Wall and Behind The Mirror - Who doesn't like the Fae? And there's even one called Jareth, although he's not nearly so awesome as the REAL one  ;)
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

aannieparkk

« Reply #237 on: September 15, 2014, 12:45:29 pm »
The Assassin Curse and The pirates wish by Cassandra Rose Clarke
The Flash Gold Chronicles by Lindsay Buroker
His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman
Half Bad by Sally Green
I have read all of these books only this year and thoroughly enjoyed every one of them  ;D