Author Topic: I totally and wholeheartedly recommend...  (Read 38871 times)

AndreDias

Re: I totally and wholeheartedly recommend...
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 09:42:37 am »
Kitty, this is going on since I joined in. I guess this is discrimination for being the only male here o.O

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 10:19:54 am »
nope the Gremlins are just rampant here.  If you watch you will see it happening all over the place.  Usually someone has quoted another post but their answer doesn't show beneath.  Gremlins have had it away
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

exstock

• Carnivorous
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 12:53:05 pm »
Speaking of sequels, any opinions on Buttercup's Baby (sequel to Princess Bride)?  Do you think it will happen?  Should it?

This actually made me shudder.  I love the movie, but was horribly disappointed by the book.  I've never heard of this, but I think The Princess Bride should be left alone and unblemished in its magnificence.
I don't remember liking the book as much as I lovelovelove the movie, but I don't remember actively disliking it--I just remember deciding to not actually bother getting it for my kindle until I'm really out of ideas. :)

It is one of those rare cases where the movie is a zillion times better than the book, like Stardust, and Cold Comfort Farm, both of which are must-see-right-NOW-GO-GO-GO movies. 

ETA: it's been a good decade or so since I last read the Princess Bride, so any opinion I have on it now doesn't count.  I might fiercely love it now, for all I know, or throw it away half-read.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:56:45 pm by exstock »
"I'm getting my turtleneck. I'm not defusing a bomb in this!"

Lysana

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 03:00:39 pm »
Speaking of sequels, any opinions on Buttercup's Baby (sequel to Princess Bride)?  Do you think it will happen?  Should it?

This actually made me shudder.  I love the movie, but was horribly disappointed by the book.  I've never heard of this, but I think The Princess Bride should be left alone and unblemished in its magnificence.
I don't remember liking the book as much as I lovelovelove the movie, but I don't remember actively disliking it--I just remember deciding to not actually bother getting it for my kindle until I'm really out of ideas. :)

It is one of those rare cases where the movie is a zillion times better than the book, like Stardust, and Cold Comfort Farm, both of which are must-see-right-NOW-GO-GO-GO movies. 

ETA: it's been a good decade or so since I last read the Princess Bride, so any opinion I have on it now doesn't count.  I might fiercely love it now, for all I know, or throw it away half-read.

I just read it a month or so ago.  It didn't sparkle like the movie, but it was entertaining.  I liked his brand of humor, and it was fun to play "spot the brilliant movie quote," since the quotes weren't always in the same scenes as the movie.

johnna

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 03:18:23 pm »
I only have one suggestion for reread:

Daughter of Blood by Anne Bishop and subsequent novels within the Black Jewels Universe. By far, some of the greatest fiction work I have ever read. Her characters are incredibly real, they jump off the pages. The world is luxurious and seductive.

Love these books! Agree they are fantastic.

The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R Ward is pretty good.

Kushiel's Legacy by Jacqueline Carey is also very good.

The Throne of Glass series by Sarah Maas has good potential. Currently there is only 4 novellas and book 1, but they're good.

K2N2

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 04:41:00 pm »
You know you have read alot of books when you read a thread like this and realize that you've read and enjoyed at least 75%  of what's been mentioned.

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 05:41:33 pm »
Kitty, this is going on since I joined in. I guess this is discrimination for being the only male here o.O
NOM NOM NOM
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 07:01:37 pm »
I just read it a month or so ago.  It didn't sparkle like the movie, but it was entertaining.  I liked his brand of humor, and it was fun to play "spot the brilliant movie quote," since the quotes weren't always in the same scenes as the movie.

I read it somewhere around 15 years ago... I just thought it was dull.  The only thing that gave it any life for me was that I loved the movie so much and I could force the characters to sound like Cary Elwes and Robin Wright.  Original! annoyed the crap out of me. 
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

Aamartin

• "Eek! My eyebrows are quirking!!'
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 07:57:42 pm »
Has anyone said Percy Jackson?

Another one for me: His Dark Materials.

Sigh.
"Perhaps you have not been assiduous enough with your training."

@martinameliaa

kchighley

• Evil Overlord, cat lover, warrior of the red pen.
    • Yeah, here I am
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 08:22:11 pm »
Has anyone said Percy Jackson?

Another one for me: His Dark Materials.

Sigh.

Oh...His Dark Materials (hushed tones--we do not dare speak of their greatness too loudly)
"Should we take their clothes?"
"To what end?"
"....Pockets?"

Find me on Facebook

AKK

• Before & After & Inbetween - Physicist on the Rampage
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 04:34:24 am »
Reading this thread made me feel very... awkward.

A lot of the listed all time favs just produced a shrug (and some I even loathe with a vengeance), with the exception of the Blood series, which was an a-okay read for me, though I found it fussy and sometimes even whiny in places (and lacking details, feeling rushed in others). The plot idea was interesting, the style... ah well, tastes differ. :)

My own all time favs includes several works by C. J. Cherryh (The Dreaming Tree, The Morgaine Quadrology, her Fortress in the Eye of Time series, and her ongoing scifi epic Foreigner), Lois McMaster-Bujold's Shards of Honor and its sequel Barrayar (I wasn't too engrossed with the later novels in the series, though, I couldn't relate to Miles). There are more, but my coffee break's over. :)
"You are not cleared for that."

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 04:39:36 am »
Books by Michael Scott Rohan are interesting reads if you can get your head around them, must admit I prefer the Spiral series, but still trying to get my hands on a hard copy of the 2nd book that i can afford.  And then others appear on the kindle i want and buy them first, so it keeps getting bumped down the list.  May have to bite the bullet and buy all 3 of the trilogy on the kindle.

Other than that I disliked Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman. i found it tiresome and pretentious.  shame as I recall reading oen by him as a young teenager called Tiger In The Well and remember enjoying it.
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

AndreDias

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 09:50:04 am »

A lot of the listed all time favs just produced a shrug (and some I even loathe with a vengeance), with the exception of the Blood series, which was an a-okay read for me, though I found it fussy and sometimes even whiny in places (and lacking details, feeling rushed in others). The plot idea was interesting, the style... ah well, tastes differ. :)

Do you mean Anne's Blood series?

K2N2

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 10:15:59 am »

Don't feel that way.  Tastes are highly selective and I know some of my "read untill they fall apart" favorites are not something that most of this group would enjoy while others would fit right into the mix.  There are also things on this list that I did not enjoy at all.  Different strokes for different folks (ok...I know thats dated but its still true).

AKK

• Before & After & Inbetween - Physicist on the Rampage
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 10:25:03 am »

Do you mean Anne's Blood series?

Ann Bishop, yes.
"You are not cleared for that."