Author Topic: Encrypted fanfic research  (Read 2675 times)

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
Encrypted fanfic research
« on: September 14, 2012, 12:19:34 pm »
Okay, I know we have some geniuses here... 

I take care of toddlers all day, so while I have some patience, I do not have nearly enough adult conversation.  What kinds of things would get discussed (if any, since Tikaya is obviously very focused) in a philology department?  Or code hacking office? 

My thoughts are running towards the story where Tikaya realizes she's got the knack for cracking codes, and another after she hears that Parkonis' ship went down.  Possibly one from Parkonis during his time up North.
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

rklonewolf

• I am NOT responsible...
    • Art of Lone Wolf
Re: Encrypted fanfic research
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 01:00:06 pm »
Honestly I have no idea. I would like to hear some ideas from the smart people in this forum. :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 08:03:26 pm by rklonewolf »
"We will discuss what I call a sprint the next time the group trains."

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 05:19:43 pm »
I would imagine it would run toward the lines of new discoveries, or connections between existing ones ('Did you hear that so-and-so nailed down the split of Kyattese and Mandorgian to some 800 year ago from a common tongue and they did it this way?' and 'The verb forms of deadlanguageA and deadlanguageB definitely have some similarity, but dlA has much more in common with dlC in terms of sentence structure.')

As for codes, I imagine something along the lines of Tikaya being parked in an out of the way section  just off of a war room or maybe a small off just off of. Lots of chatter about ship positions, skirmishes won or lost and the previous decisions of enemy captains/admirals and what they might do if Kyattese/Nurian captain so-and-so was pitted against them.
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 07:11:10 pm »
There's a BBC documentary about the Bletchley Park codebreakers during WWII who broke Hitler's personal code, which was actually a big turning point in the war. Watching that might give you some ideas. I believe you can watch it on YouTube.

Other than that, and this might be getting far afield, but in the newspaper office in college, we had an ongoing competition for online word scramble games to see who could get the highest score. (Alas, I only ever ranked second. Sob.) Wordy people like word games, and cryptography games have been popular for a long time, like Cryptoquote. I can see something like that -- an informal contest in the office -- leading to her being picked out.
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 04:20:59 pm »
Having sat with some intelligent people at university during discussions I can state quite clearly we discussed such mind blowing concepts of how to survive nuclear/zombie apocolypse.  The theory of evolution when applied to sports study students.  And the amazing one of which coffee shop was best.
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

Aamartin

• "Eek! My eyebrows are quirking!!'
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 04:58:03 pm »
I'm with Kitty. They would be total nerds and even in war time would be into high tech or high magic stuff and into turning everything into a game. And they'd be very competitive with one another.
"Perhaps you have not been assiduous enough with your training."

@martinameliaa

K2N2

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 03:45:44 pm »
Bad puns would also be in the mix, especially with linguists.