Author Topic: Confused about some things in Encrypted  (Read 5183 times)

Cam

• Lurker
Confused about some things in Encrypted
« on: September 24, 2012, 06:40:35 pm »
Ok, so I've been re-reading Encrypted and, of course, it has been amazing (yet again!). But, there are some things that I'm puzzled over.

For one, those huge humanoid beasts when Tikaya/Rias & Co. first enter the tunnels... What they heck are they? An experiment by those aliens? And these aliens, they came to analyze and experiment on humans, right? Was that the point of all the gadgetry (chemical-emitting device, genocide rocket, etc)? To see what would work and what wouldn't? AND, lastly, where are these aliens now? Just chillin' in an underground bunker, biding their time to strike and leave all of Turgonia and surrounding countries devastated so they can take over and colonize their alien race?! *gasp*

Feel free to let me in on things I've missed.

Note: I haven't finished my re-read and some of these questions may be answered later. BUT on my initial pass through, these are the questions that arose.

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
Re: Confused about some things in Encrypted
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »
I'm pretty sure that somewhere it was explained that the aliens came to earth to get away from others on their planet that didn't agree with their views. They experimented on humans because we were biologically similar to themselves, and the point of it all was so they could go back to their home planet and wipe out the folks who didn't agree with them.

I'd say the big beasties were probably experiments or even pets left behind.
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

Cam

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 01:29:38 pm »
Ah, I see. Thanks!

K2N2

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:19:20 pm »
The alien motivation thing is explained in the whole "fish tank bath tub" sequence (pg 538).

On the same note, I've always wondered if those beasties were susceptible to the cold.  Thus they stayed in the nice 68 degree (F) caves and ate everything in sight including each other.  Not a worldwide problem if they were only located in the "main base" near Ft. Deadend.   

As for the aliens...I suspect they were wiped out by something really prosaic that they got from thier experimental human subjects like the common cold? Hmm.  I know that's been done before. Now where?  *Runs off to TV Tropes to look - see you in an hour or 3*

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
  • The plot bunnies, they will not leave me alone!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 08:19:04 pm »
Alien killed by the common cold? EAsy, that's the War of the World :P Although, maybe not the version with Tom Cruise (No idea about that one)
"You have a disturbing sense of humor."
http://www.nault-findley.com/

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:27:12 am »
Never did understand why super advanced aliens didn't carry some Lockets with them.  suckers.

I did wonder about the monster things, surely there couldn't have been enough food in the tunnels to support even two after a certain length of time.  basic food chain supply and demand theory there.  therefore they must have left the tunnels at points to hunt in the mountains, so why were there no rumours of psychopathic nekkid yetis going on.
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

K2N2

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 10:56:19 am »
Yes...war of the worlds was one of the early the "easily foiled invasion" trope users, but I'd seen it somewhere else more recently and its still bugging me where - oh well it will come to me eventually.

I also wondered about the food chain given the lack of little critters in the tunnels other than the bats.  Maybe the "pets" have some sort of automatic feeder.  That way super advanced aliens don't have to dirty their hands (tenticles, whatever) with providing pet chow.  If the beasties are lab rat equivalents an automatic feeder would be likely to cut down psychological variables in the experiments. 

adamai

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 11:23:22 am »
Yes...war of the worlds was one of the early the "easily foiled invasion" trope users, but I'd seen it somewhere else more recently and its still bugging me where - oh well it will come to me eventually.

I also wondered about the food chain given the lack of little critters in the tunnels other than the bats.  Maybe the "pets" have some sort of automatic feeder.  That way super advanced aliens don't have to dirty their hands (tenticles, whatever) with providing pet chow.  If the beasties are lab rat equivalents an automatic feeder would be likely to cut down psychological variables in the experiments.

I immediately thought of Signs.

ndngirl

• "Whatever you wish, Amaranthe" - Sicarius
  • JenT
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 11:32:37 am »
Funniest part of the movie
""Yes" He kissed her on the neck, and the warmth of his lips sent a wave of heat through her." Sicarius and Amaranthe
Conspiracy

ndngirl

• JenT
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 11:33:37 am »
Wow, im impressed, i actually attached that picture correctly.
""Yes" He kissed her on the neck, and the warmth of his lips sent a wave of heat through her." Sicarius and Amaranthe
Conspiracy

moldynotgo

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »

Clearly you have mastered this alien technology.

ndngirl

• JenT
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »

Clearly you have mastered this alien technology.

LOL, now if i can just get a handle on twitter. GEEEZZZ I feel old.
Conspiracy

Kitty

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 03:32:35 am »
K2, seeing as the aliens had been gone for a few thousand hours, who has been refilling the feeder and cleaning out the cage?
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 07:43:59 am »
The maid boxes would take care of the messes. And since they were carnivore, it's possible there was some sort of self sustaining food source set up - if the aliens could create an air stream bed and maid boxes that still work so long after their gone, I'm sure they could set up a mini ecosystem to sustain their guard monkey-dogs. Tikaya and the rest didn't explore the entire complex by any means.

I'm reminded of a Terry Brooks book... Was it Antrax? Of the modern day super computer that survives the destruction and rebuilding of the world. Everything continues ticking along nicely for thousands of years
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

Kitty

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 07:55:46 am »
how do the cubes handle the little shovel things you have to use for the pet food?