Author Topic: Wild speculation on the procreative futures of our intrepid heroes  (Read 13214 times)

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
Wild speculation on the procreative futures of our intrepid heroes
« on: September 27, 2012, 07:45:47 pm »
In her recent blog post answering questions, Lindsay said:

I don't have anything like this planned at this time (I'd be more likely to jump ahead in the timeline and write the next generation's story), but one never knows what ideas might come up a few years down the road.

ETA: The forum ate my post. I must write really delicious posts or something, because this seems to happen frequently.

So, please tell me all about your thoughts on the gang's children. I'm expecting nothing less than absolute and total mayhem from this bunch.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:01:34 pm by MsMcKnittington »
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
  • The plot bunnies, they will not leave me alone!!!
Re: Wild speculation on the procreative futures of our intrepid heroes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 07:52:52 pm »
forum ate you quote :(
"You have a disturbing sense of humor."
http://www.nault-findley.com/

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:25:39 pm »
The forum doesn't like apostrophes or quotes from other sources. Were you referring to:

I don't have anything like this planned at this time (I'd be more likely to jump ahead in the timeline and write the next generation's story), but one never knows what ideas might come up a few years down the road.
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

Meera

• Frosted Buns Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:13:38 pm »
The forum doesn't like apostrophes or quotes from other sources. Were you referring to:

I'd love to see their kids! :D
"All right, girl, we are not going to be attracted to the amoral assassin."

Sarah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:53:43 pm »
No! It was a long post, too. It showed up in preview. Oh . . . many profanities. I can't seem to decide on a single one right now.

Anyway, yes, that is the quote that made me go, "So, there will be babies!" And then I asked everyone to send out their speculations about, um, type and quantity of babies involved. I suppose I see Akstyr with a library of books on the mental sciences . . .

I'm also calling it that Maldynado and Yara end up with a disproportionate number of children, greatly reduced from the number Mal suggested at the beginning. ("I was thinking fifteen or so. To start." "We aren't having any children. At all.") I imagine their family will be a lot like Kou and Drou's in the Vorkosigan Saga, with all those strapping young women trained in judo. :P

"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:02:38 pm »
I see Yara and Mal with a huge happy family. Am and Sic, maybe one or at most two and as old as Mal and Yara's youngest. Barring an 'oops' like in Moondreamer's fic I think they'll wait quite a long time. They have the most issues to work out and Am has too much adventurous wanderlust yet to settle down and convince Sic he wants more kids.

I also see Books having a second family, maybe a little girl this time around. Time with the EE gang has done a lot to heal his bitterness at his wife leaving and his son's death.

Sarah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 11:33:59 pm »
Quote from: Cael
I see Yara and Mal with a huge happy family.

Yes. And for some reason, I keep seeing Maldynado as a househusband, while Yara pursues a career. He sees a future of bon-bons and shopping for himself, but instead he gets toddlers trying to ride the cat.

The only problem I see with Amaranthe and Sicarius waiting a long time to have kids is that Amaranthe is 26, and when you hit 35, they start talking about you being of advanced maternal age and attendant complications, and that makes me nervous. I might be being a little black rain cloud, though. I just can't see them waiting much past the time Amaranthe's 30, possibly because my 36-year-old sister has been filling my ear with horror stories.

I also see Books having a second family, maybe a little girl this time around. Time with the EE gang has done a lot to heal his bitterness at his wife leaving and his son's death.

Aw, that would be nice for him. I have so much trouble imagining that happening with Vonsha, though. I kind of feel like that ship has sailed.

Meera

• Frosted Buns Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 11:41:41 pm »
Yes. And for some reason, I keep seeing Maldynado as a househusband, while Yara pursues a career. He sees a future of bon-bons and shopping for himself, but instead he gets toddlers trying to ride the cat.

The only problem I see with Amaranthe and Sicarius waiting a long time to have kids is that Amaranthe is 26, and when you hit 35, they start talking about you being of advanced maternal age and attendant complications, and that makes me nervous. I might be being a little black rain cloud, though. I just can't see them waiting much past the time Amaranthe's 30, possibly because my 36-year-old sister has been filling my ear with horror stories.

Aw, that would be nice for him. I have so much trouble imagining that happening with Vonsha, though. I kind of feel like that ship has sailed.

Oh yeah. Well Vonsha was with that shaman, right? So good riddance.  :P

I think Am's got time. They don't have to wait more than 3, 4 years, do they?

The image of Mal chasing after kids trying to ride the cat makes me lol.
"All right, girl, we are not going to be attracted to the amoral assassin."

maggiej117

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 11:46:31 pm »

Yeah, I want to see that in a picture now. I can kinda see Yara in the background, a complete 'WTF' look on her face.

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 11:48:20 pm »
No, not Vonsha. Moondreamer suggested some sweet Kyattese girl and I like that image. Books in a little beach house, teaching at the Polytechnic by day, walking the beach with his daughter by evening...

OMG, I love that image of one of Mal's kids riding the cat lol!

Eh, I see 4 or 5 years minimum before babies happen for Am and Sic (once again, barring oopses) As much as we're rabid for the romance of them, Sic's not really going to be a settle-down-and-play-house kind of guy, and I mentioned before the issues that they both have to work through.

Sarah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 12:06:54 am »

Absolutely! There are some very lovely fish in that sea, Books. And now that Amaranthe has taught him the approved methods of listening, finding one should not be that difficult. As soon as he's not running with outlaws anymore. The women he'd be happiest with probably wouldn't see that as a draw.

Quote from: Meera

Three or four years would be about perfect, I think! I just can't imagine them waiting much longer than that. I guess I don't have much faith in Turgonian prenatal care?

Oooh, wait. Ridiculousness ahead: Akstyr as an OB-GYN.  ;D Now with more magic mental sciences.

Quote from: Meera

You KNOW his kids would do it. Yara would come home and he'd be trying to talk her into upgrading their house cat to a house pony.

Eh, I see 4 or 5 years minimum before babies happen for Am and Sic (once again, barring oopses) As much as we're rabid for the romance of them, Sic's not really going to be a settle-down-and-play-house kind of guy, and I mentioned before the issues that they both have to work through.

I do see Sicarius really being at a loss with a more hands-on fatherhood at this point. I just sort of envision him insisting on the baby's crib being in their bedroom or co-sleeping or something like that, not because he has a profound belief in attachment parenting, but because he doesn't trust the rest of the world enough to let his kids be that physically far from him.

Though Sicarius wearing a baby sling is a pretty hilarious mental image.

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 03:58:46 am »
I can quite easily seeing Am and Sic up to no good with a sleeping baby in a sling across their back.  One of my uni freinds bought an inflatable crib for the front of his canoe so the new born could go out on the water with him.  So why not?

As to Mal & Yara - the words Dirty Dozen come to mind, complete with associated chaos.  And cats being ridden.

Books i think will find a lovely young academic who will just mother him so much,understand has academic mind and produce a pair of children, probably a boy and girl who will be smothered with love.  And an abaility to think and fight.

I can see Akstyr 10 years down the road with a baby daughter who will again be smothered with the love he has learnt from Ammy and taught how to set fire to everything.

And Bas i think will find his daughter again, a girl who thinks instead of following the flock, and i think he'll just be content with that.  Though I hope there'll be a nice girl for him as well one day.
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
  • The plot bunnies, they will not leave me alone!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 07:45:47 am »
Can I just say that this image of Mal's kis trying to ride the cat is absolutely hilarious? Also, I wasn'T the one who imagined Books with a kyattese scolar, although I still have to admit I would definitely see him with someone like that. As for Aktyr, he'd have to grow up and mature quite a bit before he was ready for kids O_o No one's talked of Sespian yet though. I would guess he will have kids, especially he he is still Emperor by the end of EE...
"You have a disturbing sense of humor."
http://www.nault-findley.com/

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 07:53:59 am »
Well goodness, I'm going to have to go back through and figure out who put that out there because I LOvE it.

CREDIT MUST GO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE.

;D

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 08:05:30 am »
*Shuffles awkwardly and digs toes in the dirt*
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.