Author Topic: Epiphany!  (Read 9551 times)

maggiej117

Epiphany!
« on: October 10, 2012, 12:57:39 pm »
Okay, I'm finally finally rereading EE5 and I remember the epiphany I had for five minutes at five in the morning the last time I read it! Though for all I know, someone else thought the same thing and it's posted somewhere on this site... Anyhow, what if the mission Sicarius refused was to kill Sespian? Or would have Sicarius killed Raumesys immediately for telling Sic to do that?

K2N2

Re: Epiphany!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:00:25 pm »
I wondered if it was to kill Starcrest.

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:06:13 pm »
I wonder if it was to kill himself?
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

maggiej117

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 01:09:51 pm »
I wonder if it was to kill himself?

That *would* ensure he doesn't get revenge on them. But they would have to know if he refused they were screwed, right?

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:11:56 pm »
Since I'm in the 'Raumesys didn't know' camp, I don't think it's that. I think Starcrest might be a valid guess since we know that Sicarius had/has a little bit of hero-worship for him.
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

AKK

• Before & After & Inbetween - Physicist on the Rampage
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 01:20:22 pm »
Since I'm in the 'Raumesys didn't know' camp, I don't think it's that. I think Starcrest might be a valid guess since we know that Sicarius had/has a little bit of hero-worship for him.

Plus, by the time that order came it would have been obvious that Starcrest kept his part of the blackmail the bargain he brought forth when their paths parted in Encrypted. Not that that would be an important part of making Sicarius's decision, but it would add to his resolve not to fo it.
"You are not cleared for that."

Meera

• Frosted Buns Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 01:29:10 pm »
I always thought it was Starcrest. Sicarius said that Raumesys thought he was against the throne when he refused, not before (and then tried an assassination attempt afterward), so it wouldn't make sense for Raumesys to order him to kill himself. And I don't think Sicarius ever showed his hero-worship (though it's probably obvious since the only failed missions he's had has had to do with Starcrest), but it's irrelevant.
"All right, girl, we are not going to be attracted to the amoral assassin."

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:37:18 pm »
note to self, use emo's when on hyper mode and making silly comments.  my serious vote is for Starcrest, but am in a devilment mood.  sorry.
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

maggiej117

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 01:56:50 pm »
note to self, use emo's when on hyper mode and making silly comments.  my serious vote is for Starcrest, but am in a devilment mood.  sorry.

I kind of assumed.

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 04:25:05 pm »
Hmm, I didn't think it was any of those. I just figured the probability of failure was too high - self preservation and all that.
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 05:01:29 pm »
It would almost have to be Starcrest, wouldn't it? There's really no one else in the books who Sicarius has any sort of attachment to that Raumesys wouldn't be willing to kill himself. He killed his first wife, so obviously he doesn't have issues with killing women, and I imagine he'd have even less of an issue with killing a child he knew not to be his son.

But what could Raumesys have ordered Sicarius to do that would then make Sicarius feel that Raumesys had to be killed? I guess Starcrest is the most logical choice for a refused order, but I can't see Sicarius caring for or respecting Starcrest  that much. So, with that little fact, Sespian becomes the most logical target.

What if Raumesys ordered him to kill someone that Raumesys had fingered as Sespian's father, but it was the wrong man altogether? But then Sicarius would probably just kill the dude and plot to kill Raumesys, not refuse the order. It has to be someone or something that shows Raumesys has gone entirely off the deep end.

The big failure that Sicarius was punished for when he was 15 that led to him sleeping with Marathi was failing to assassinate the Kyattese president, right?
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

moldynotgo

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 05:04:00 pm »

Agreed that Starcrest is most likely the answer, but I don't think Raumesys would necessarily be above killing his son, regardless. He strikes me as a rather ruthless fellow, and Sespian was clearly disappointing him. Who knows how far back Forge was operating?

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 05:09:49 pm »
Ugh, it would make sense for Raumesys to think that it would be advisable to start over with a new wife and new son -- if he had knocked the second wife up once, surely he could do it again with a third! :(

Or had Marathi already died from whatever illness it was at that point?
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
  • The plot bunnies, they will not leave me alone!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 05:22:11 pm »
Maybe Sicarius ws asked to kill Marathi herself, depending on the timeline (I can't remember if it was mentionned when he went against that order and if Marathi was alive at the time). Since MArathi is his son's mother, I could see him refusing for the boy's sake. Else, as Mana mentionned, it might have been a completely different motive, like feeling that he was sent to his death and the mission was suicidal, o simply ending up realizing that the person he was asked to kill didn't really present a threat and it was personnal to Raumesys or Hollowcrest (Husband of a mistress?)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:00:46 pm by Moondreamer »
"You have a disturbing sense of humor."
http://www.nault-findley.com/

maggiej117

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 05:28:43 pm »
Maybe Sicarius ws asked to call Marathi herself, depending on the timeline (I can't remember if it was mentionned when he went against that order and if Marathi was alive at the time). Since MArathi is his son's mother, I could see him refusing for the boy's sake. Else, as Mana mentionned, it might have been a completely different motive, like feeling that he was sent to his death and the mission was suicidal, o simply ending up realizing that the person he was asked to kill didn't really present a threat and it was personnal to Raumesys or Hollowcrest (Husband of a mistress?)

Or maybe a mistress who didn't want to do him anymore.