Author Topic: Secret Santacarius fic/art exchange?  (Read 9384 times)

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
Secret Santacarius fic/art exchange?
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:15:19 am »
Someone in the EE fic for Yuletide thread suggested we do a fic and art exchange for the winter holidays. And reading over the thread, I see it was me. Oh, dear.

Anyway, a few people have already announced that they want to participate, so I was wondering how many other people are and what kind of exchange they want it to be. Secret exchange? More like a prompt meme where people just post prompts and people fill them without being assigned anyone? There is also the kink meme option, but that might get dicey when it came to fanart!

I was kind of thinking of a secret Santa exchange, possibly because I really like ria's coining of "Santacarius", but also because it means that everyone ends up getting something. Like, people have until November 1st to sign up and submit prompts in a thread, and then somebody (probably me, since this was my big idea) draws names from a hat to match everybody up and sends out the assignments via PM here on the board. Then you have until . . . er, December 20th? New Years? to write a gift fic or create a gift piece of electronic art to fill the prompt.

I don't know where to go from there. Do you want to place a minimum word count on the fics? Do you want it to remain anonymous? Do you just want them posted on the boards or somewhere else? One of the things I like about Archive of Our Own is that things that are posted can be posted as gifts, and the giftee is notified by e-mail when that happens. And you can set up challenges fairly easily on there, but that could be an extra layer of pain in the butt if not everybody has an account.

Does anybody want to volunteer to write an extra fic or piece of art in case someone has to drop out?

If you have thoughts, share them! Please!
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

AKK

• Before & After & Inbetween - Physicist on the Rampage
Re: Secret Santacarius fic/art exchange?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:06:37 am »
My  mind kind of cramps when trying to figure out how a custom like "Santa Claus" could have developed in Turgonia. It feels so... forced in this fandom. :(
"You are not cleared for that."

sweartoad

• I'm on DeviantArt (occasionally)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 02:24:23 am »
I don't think it needs to be the gang actually celebrating Christmas - I think it's more something for the fans as a gift :D

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 04:36:53 am »
I'd be willing to give it a try, could be fun but I'd be strictly written form as i can't draw for toffee apples.
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

moldynotgo

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 05:56:42 am »
Pardon me being stupid, but how would this work exactly?

I would secretly make a haiku about Akstyr's armpits for Sweartoad, and she would secretly make me a full color poster of Sicarius holding a sword aloft ala' He-Man for me?

Kitty

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 05:59:58 am »
something like that. whatever your craft is you throw it into the ring, and then you'd get paired with someone, and thats who you create your masterpiece for :D
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 06:01:51 am »
We need to recruit more artists.... and crafters.... and maybe some more writers...
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."

moldynotgo

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 06:02:22 am »
So I could, in theory, request someone write me, say, EE6, and Lindsay might get it?!? :) :)

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 06:02:58 am »
I will totally do a fic about Santacarius, since that's already out there, but I'll also sign up for a Secret one.  :)

I think they just have to be about winter, and maybe some kind of older tradition about celebrating midwinter?  Even with out gods, I'm sure they have some kind of celebration to say, "Woohoo, Spring is coming!"
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

Kitty

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 06:03:30 am »
the midwinter feast essentially :)

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 06:03:47 am »
So I could, in theory, request someone write me, say, EE6, and Lindsay might get it?!? :) :)

She did mention that if it looks like the world is going to end in December, she'd let us know how the series ends.  :P
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:05:26 am »

She did mention that if it looks like the world is going to end in December, she'd let us know how the series ends.  :P

Will we have that much advanced warning?
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

moldynotgo

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:05:54 am »

Hmm... maybe she should tell us NOW, just in case the zombie apocalypse comes to Phoenix first...

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 06:06:23 am »

Hmm... maybe she should tell us NOW, just in case the zombie apocalypse comes to Phoenix first...

Good idea.
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 07:02:17 am »
A lot of cultures had some sort of tradition celebrating the winter solstice - Mal even mentions it in EE5. Granted he's talking about running naked in the snow, but maybe that's how he celebrates :P I can totally see something like the Longest Night ala the Kushiel series in Turgonia. The Sun Prince and the old hag, not the wanton debauchery... although... ;D
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind