Author Topic: Secret Santacarius Fanfic/Art Exchange  (Read 18559 times)

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
Secret Santacarius Fanfic/Art Exchange
« on: November 03, 2012, 12:12:37 am »
I think this is the best place to have sign-ups for a fanfic/fan art exchange, but if Mana thinks it would be best elsewhere, then she can move it. Or launch me into space with a counterweight trebuchet. Whatever.

Secret Santacarius Fic and Art Exchange

First of all, I know everybody here is a really good bunch, so I’m not too worried about problems occurring. But in case they do . . . we have a backup system in place. :D

Also, I apologize in advance for referring to myself in the third person throughout this thing. I promise that I am not a professional athlete and that I know nothing about baseball.

What it is: A winter holiday fanfic and fan art exchange for The Emperor’s Edge universe. Stories do not have to be holiday themed, but can be if you want. This is going to be an anonymous exchange, which means that authors/artists will be kept secret until after everybody has had a chance to open their gifts. This will be done by having people send their gifts to Sarah or Meera by e-mail, who will then post them on the boards on December 22nd. Entries will stay anonymous until the recipients have all commented and thanked the creators, at which time Sarah and Meera will edit the posts with the identities of the creators.

All dates are in American time.

THE RULES

1. You have until November 7th to post a prompt in this thread. Once you post a prompt, you have signed up to write a randomly matched person a 1000-word or longer fic or draw them a piece of fan art. (Or both, if you’re an overachiever.) In exchange, someone else who signed up will create you the same according to your prompt. Gifts should try to reflect the preferences and prompt of the person you’re creating for, but we realize that is not always possible, so if someone asks for characters or a situation you’re not comfortable writing or drawing, don’t worry too much. Just don’t go out of your way to write something that will upset them.

Example: Your recipient asks for a story about Maldynado and Isabel. You write a story where Mal is served soup made from Isabel. While technically this sticks to the letter of the prompt, it’s probably not in the spirit of it, which is not good. Don’t do that.

2. Prompts should be about characters or situations in the Emperor’s Edge and related book series. So: Encrypted, Emperor’s Edge, Dark Currents, Deadly Games, Conspiracy, and Blood and Betrayal.

3. All gifts should be appropriate viewing for people under the age of 18. Basically, if you’d have to post it in the 18+ forums/threads here on the boards, then it’s too explicit for the exchange, since we’re not posting the gifts in those places.

4. Sarah will be matching names by pulling slips of paper out of a bowl, because she is amazing and classy like that. Assignments will go out by November 10th, and Sarah will send you a message on the boards with the person you will be creating for.

5. Gifts should be sent to the exchange e-mail address by December 21st at the latest, so Sarah and Meera can post them to the boards on December 22nd. Earlier is better! If everybody hands their stuff in early, then we’ll post gifts early.

Please format fic gifts as PDFs with descriptive file names. Since this is anonymous, don’t put your names in the PDF! Using the title as the file name would be a smart move.

Please send gifts to this e-mail: santacarius@gmail.com

6. If you will not be able to create something for your recipient — writer’s block, swamped at work, swamped by the holidays, laziness, whatever — please let us know as soon as you can. We have a couple people lined up to create some extra gifts if people run into trouble, but if half the participants can’t make the deadline, this may become an issue, which we’ll address if it happens.

TIPS FOR PROMPTS

A prompt should include ideas for story or art that you’d like to receive as a gift. Some people like to have lots of ideas thrown at them in prompts, so they can choose one that works best, while others prefer to keep it simple. So, think about characters you’d like to see art or fanfiction about and what you’d like to see them doing, keeping in mind we can’t have explicit content for this exchange.* If you’re OK with seeing something about any of the characters, then say so! If you want something more specific, then be specific, but have realistic expectations. Asking for novel-length fic probably isn’t going to happen.

*Sorry, folks. Completely nude Sicarius is out of the question. However, nearly nude Sicarius works. Note: The outfit he wears for the last half of Deadly Games counts as nude, not nearly nude. Bits must be covered.

RESOURCES

The only reference to winter holidays in the books is this one in Blood and Betrayal in Chapter 1:

As he spoke, Sicarius issued his favorite dark glare, the one that could make a man’s love apples shrivel up faster than a nude streak into the snow on Solstice Day.

Obviously that is Maldynado talking, because who else would mention love apples? Some take this to mean that Solstice Day is celebrated with a nude sprint through the snow, at least by Mal. Make of this what you will.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO SIGN UP

Post to this thread with your prompt. That’s it!

Feel free to ask questions if you have them.
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

sweartoad

• I'm on DeviantArt (occasionally)
Re: Secret Santacarius Fanfic/Art Exchange
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 06:17:46 am »
FIRST POST!

As for prompts, I'm happy with anything. Go crazy, you crazy anonymous fanfic writer/fan artist you.

moldynotgo

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 03:49:49 pm »
Hmm. I'd like to see a moment of happiness in Sicarius's childhood. I know, I KNOW there are like, none, but hey, invent one or draw me one, please.

Thanks Sarah!!! I'm a little jealous that after this is over, someone gets to have the Santacarius email address forever... ;)

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
  • The plot bunnies, they will not leave me alone!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 04:59:00 pm »
Third?

As for prompt.I'd like  situation where there is a gift exchange (or soemthing similar) and Am gets Sicarius something... wondering what he reaction would be (Could be fic or art :) )

Or, something Sespian? (Would it be completely unrealistic to wish for Thalia as seen by someone else? :P but, I know, I know, not really canon).
"You have a disturbing sense of humor."
http://www.nault-findley.com/

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 05:05:59 pm »
YAY FOURTH!!

Prompt: something with Akstyr being unable to stay the surly teen he is, if only for a moment. Like being awkwardly embarrassed by a bit of kindness! Or lean-n-hot Akstyr. Or just something Akstyr.

AKSTYR!!!

;D
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

Sarah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 08:50:50 pm »
Thanks Sarah!!! I'm a little jealous that after this is over, someone gets to have the Santacarius email address forever... ;)

The sad part is, now that I've revealed who has access to it, I won't be able to use my powers for evil. :(

So! My prompt: Like sweartoad, I am open to pretty much anything. However, I would love to see fic about or art of some of the characters who get less attention, like Basilard. I love me some Basilard. But Books also! Or Mal and Yara being smooshy together. Mmm, fic from Yara's perspective. Or even Roskar Rockjaw, if you want to write about why he wants to help Amaranthe, as long as it isn't too creepy.

But, hey, if none of those things work for you, then knock yourself out doing something else. I'm not picky. Just wordy. :D

ETA: Another idea! Rias giving Sicarius relationship advice. I just . . . hee! It could be amazingly hilarrible and awfulsome.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:26:49 pm by Sarah »
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 06:02:58 am »
SIXTH!!!!!  A bit of Books' world please, hopefully something nice happening just for him.  Other than I'm cool with any character other than Sespian ???

Quick question, i have issues with making fanfic into a PDF (I can't figure it out), can someone give me a Beano idiots guide before I send it off please?
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 08:30:45 am »
I'm in

I don't have any request/prompt ideas though (at least not yet).
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 12:45:45 pm »
Soooo totally in. 

Okay, so I know it's not holiday themed, but since it doesn't have to be -
I would like the scene of Sicarius eavesdropping and then interrupting Deret's picnic plans for Amaranthe, from Sic's POV.  Art could be him looming like an angry but stone-faced cloud, or getting a small wrinkle in his brow as he listens to them, etc. 

Alternately, Maldynado's face as he stands beside a rather drunk Evrial and she grabs his ass.  >:D
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

Sarah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 06:03:07 pm »
Eek, everyone, I just thought of something! Nobody here is Jewish so they can't use electricity after sundown on Friday and through Saturday, are they? Because if anybody is, then we'll move the day we upload fics, since the 22nd falls on a Saturday, since it isn't fair to ask anybody to have to sit out while everybody else tears into their presents.

moldynotgo

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 01:34:49 am »
Eek, everyone, I just thought of something! Nobody here is Jewish so they can't use electricity after sundown on Friday and through Saturday, are they? Because if anybody is, then we'll move the day we upload fics, since the 22nd falls on a Saturday, since it isn't fair to ask anybody to have to sit out while everybody else tears into their presents.

Guilty. Mazal tov! :)

But
a) I don't care
b) I'm in GMT +2, so Saturday night is still Saturday morning for most of you.

Seriously, tho, that was very, very considerate of you! But it really doesn't bug me.

Sarah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 01:52:41 pm »
I'm glad differing timezones sorted it out! I totally would have moved it up a day or forward a day if it hadn't worked for you or if you did care, though. <3 If I had been thinking, I would have asked before setting the date, but all my friend who are Jewish are not that observant so it came as a shamefully late afterthought. And, hey, I don't know the whole world. Maybe someone here is that observant.

moldynotgo

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 03:15:23 pm »
I do appreciate the thoughtfulness, really!

I love that because this is an online, anonymous forum, we really DON'T know who is behind each of those avatars...

Heh heh heh... Did I get these right?

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 03:17:06 pm »
o_O   You put me in a burka? 

Obviously, I haven't been Naughty enough.
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

Sarah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 03:24:04 pm »
I hope that's an underpants gnome.

ETA: Because if it is, it would be fairly accurate. I am short and do have . . . a luxurious beard? No. But newfound fixation on pants? Yes!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:27:04 pm by Sarah »