Author Topic: A Long Conversation  (Read 16319 times)

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
Re: A Long Coversation
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2012, 05:09:15 pm »
Colorado? Way too far west to the be the Midwest! The Midwest is generally considered to be Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Missouri.

ETA: Oops. And Michigan! Sorry, Michigan. I didn't mean to leave you out, there.

I know the government lumps a bunch of Plains states in there with the Midwest, but things in the Dakotas and Kansas and Nebraska are culturally very different from the other states.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 05:16:40 pm by Sarahcarius »
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2012, 05:16:46 pm »
Colorado? Way too far west to the be the Midwest! The Midwest is generally considered to be Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Missouri.

Those states are more of the Bible Belt to me, which is part of the Midwest

I lived in Colorado and Kansas for my middle and high school years and a lot of basketball conferences were label Midwest-something-or-other. I always thought it was weird that Ohio and Indiana were included, since the exact center of the US is in Kansas :o

ETA: I've always heard the US broken into New England (or Northeast) , Midwest, West, Pacific Northwest, South (or Deep South) and Southwest.

ETA2: :P By the way... this story is just amazing. Seriously! I've not been forum-ing too much lately so I'm still catching up (grumble about commissions and life in general) but I'm so glad we have such talented people coming here :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 05:23:28 pm by Cael »
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2012, 05:23:23 pm »
The Bible Belt is in the southeast -- it definitely doesn't include the Upper Midwest! The map on Wikipedia includes the southernmost parts of the Midwest, but most of the Midwest doesn't even approach the Bible Belt in terms of religiosity. That kind of religiousness is distasteful around here.
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2012, 05:27:09 pm »
Interesting. I lived in Indiana, about halfway up the state, and they were quite proud of belonging to the Bible/Corn Belt. We're talking reading verses from the Bible after the Pledge of Allegiance in a public school. I want to put something in here about the all-knowingness of Wikipedia and researchers in general versus personal experience but I don't want to steer this thread into a gully :P
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

blackmetallic

« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2012, 06:06:19 am »

ETA: Oops. And Michigan! Sorry, Michigan. I didn't mean to leave you out, there.
Nobody ever remembers Michigan. Or expects it.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2012, 10:00:39 am »

Nobody ever remembers Michigan. Or expects it.

I totally read this in [Monty Python Script] Nobody expects the Michigan [/End Monty script]
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."

SparkleGirl

• <insert inspiring text here>
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2012, 04:34:36 pm »
How apt that this discussion appears on a thread named 'A Long Conversation'. I believe irony just bit me on the bum...
"Oh good," Maldynado said. "Isabel got out."

ndngirl

• "Whatever you wish, Amaranthe" - Sicarius
  • JenT
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2013, 01:15:24 pm »
How apt that this discussion appears on a thread named 'A Long Conversation'. I believe irony just bit me on the bum...

I was just thinking the same thing! Also how knowledgable our EE members are... Im serious we should rule the world. Not Forge style tho. Altho alien technology would be neat!
""Yes" He kissed her on the neck, and the warmth of his lips sent a wave of heat through her." Sicarius and Amaranthe
Conspiracy