Author Topic: Author's voice in fan fiction  (Read 4994 times)

judy

Re: Author's voice in fan fiction
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 11:39:52 am »

I'm always happy to beta! Though honestly, I'm a total amateur. My Nano novel made it completely obvious to me that any skill I may have been acquiring with fanfic was completely lost when I had to actually write something original...

I think you give yourself too little credit here. It's always harder to judge one of your pieces than someone else's, I think. I just finished my first NaNo, and while I "won," it drove home how difficult it is to write a story. Mine is a mess of scenes right now more than a finished piece. :) Are you going to do anything with yours?

I felt the same way about Nano -- I have 50,000 words of... stuff. There were two entire plot lines that I completely neglected because I realized I was totally unprepared to write them, so there are gaping holes. I decided to let it rest for December while I worked on Santacarius and Yuletide, and in January I'll get back to it. I'm so glad I did it, though. Without the Nano deadlines, I would have stopped trying the first time I got stuck, and even if a lot of the material generated is completely scrapped in future drafts, I think I made some progress in figuring out what I was trying to do in the first place.
It's possible we remember the events a little differently.

desertwind

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 02:53:58 pm »
I always tell myself that it's okay to write any sort of jumble of crap to start with, because once there are words on a page, you can start editing it into something good - you can't edit nothing! Congratulations on you guys' hard work for NaNoWriMo. I hope the editing/fleshing out/completion process goes well.  ;D

Sara M.

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 05:40:25 pm »

I'm always happy to beta! Though honestly, I'm a total amateur. My Nano novel made it completely obvious to me that any skill I may have been acquiring with fanfic was completely lost when I had to actually write something original...

I think you give yourself too little credit here. It's always harder to judge one of your pieces than someone else's, I think. I just finished my first NaNo, and while I "won," it drove home how difficult it is to write a story. Mine is a mess of scenes right now more than a finished piece. :) Are you going to do anything with yours?

I felt the same way about Nano -- I have 50,000 words of... stuff. There were two entire plot lines that I completely neglected because I realized I was totally unprepared to write them, so there are gaping holes. I decided to let it rest for December while I worked on Santacarius and Yuletide, and in January I'll get back to it. I'm so glad I did it, though. Without the Nano deadlines, I would have stopped trying the first time I got stuck, and even if a lot of the material generated is completely scrapped in future drafts, I think I made some progress in figuring out what I was trying to do in the first place.

Yes yes yes! Me too. I'm working now on going back through it and filling in the gaping holes and making sure all the plots follow their intended paths. Now that I don't have a deadline to face, though, I'm finding it easy to slack off.  ::)

Good luck with yours! Who knows, maybe we'll both wind up with something halfway decent.

I always tell myself that it's okay to write any sort of jumble of crap to start with, because once there are words on a page, you can start editing it into something good - you can't edit nothing! Congratulations on you guys' hard work for NaNoWriMo. I hope the editing/fleshing out/completion process goes well.  ;D

Thanks!

The funny thing is, I'm an editor, so the whole time I was writing, I was telling myself the editing process would be a snap. Except this is more like triage than the editing I'm used to: finding and fixing the critical problems, not cleaning up the story as a whole. Ah, well, as you say, there is SOMETHING there that I can shape into something (hopefully) good.