Author Topic: Forged in Blood (theories)  (Read 9379 times)

Erik

Re: Forged in Blood (theories)
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 09:56:27 pm »
If you remember in book 1 Hollowcrest did have a little whine about Sespian wanting to faze out the empire altogether, and I can't see Lindsay writing so much about Books' new government project simply to keep him out of the way. I doubt Sespian will remain as Emperor. And I really think someone will die. In a final showdown with Forge involving alien tech and auto-weapons there have to be some casualties. I reckon it'll be Mal.

I could see that happening, but it would have to be suitably dramatic.

Anybody else read "The Fionavar Tapestry" by Guy Gavriel Kay?  If not, then stop here but you should have read it some time in the 25 years since it came out. (Hugely derivative and no comparison to Kay's masterpiece Tigana but it has some powerful moments)

It was a huge, huge shock to me when the frivolous, woman-chasing Diarmuid unexpectedly answered the challenge of the enemy general.  Far overmatched, he finally killed the enemy in a suicidal ploy and died in his love's arms. "For the honor of The Black Boar!"

This series is far more light-hearted than that one was, so I'm not expecting a death--maiming possibly-- but I wouldn't rule it out. There's precedent.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:58:34 pm by Erik »

blackmetallic

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 10:52:08 pm »
If you remember in book 1 Hollowcrest did have a little whine about Sespian wanting to faze out the empire altogether, and I can't see Lindsay writing so much about Books' new government project simply to keep him out of the way. I doubt Sespian will remain as Emperor. And I really think someone will die. In a final showdown with Forge involving alien tech and auto-weapons there have to be some casualties. I reckon it'll be Mal.

I could see that happening, but it would have to be suitably dramatic.

Anybody else read "The Fionavar Tapestry" by Guy Gavriel Kay?  If not, then stop here but you should have read it some time in the 25 years since it came out. (Hugely derivative and no comparison to Kay's masterpiece Tigana but it has some powerful moments)

It was a huge, huge shock to me when the frivolous, woman-chasing Diarmuid unexpectedly answered the challenge of the enemy general.  Far overmatched, he finally killed the enemy in a suicidal ploy and died in his love's arms. "For the honor of The Black Boar!"

This series is far more light-hearted than that one was, so I'm not expecting a death--maiming possibly-- but I wouldn't rule it out. There's precedent.
Ah, Tigana. Reading it was a profound experience. The way the story builds and the characters develope is incredible. The darkness in it is real, as evil is never purely just evil, nor is good always just good. The shades of grey were told masterfully and stereotypes were avoided quite nicely. The Fionovar Tapestry is nothing compared to Tigana, to me the story was naive and the character development lacking.

As for a character dying in EE I feel it's necessary for the believability of the story as a whole. They have already gone through things where I was expecting someone to get injured much worse than they have.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather

moldynotgo

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 03:57:44 am »
Yeah, I'm on the maiming bandwagon. Loss of limb, deafness or blindness, etc. I also think Mal is ripe for a maiming. Sespian is impossible, since that would countermand Sicarius's entire raison de etre (or however you spell that). Making Sicarius somewhat dependent is an interesting thing to do with his character, especially as book 6 is his POV.

Alright Sicarius, brace yourself for foot fungus or something.

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 01:44:03 pm »
I can see someone getting injured and being left with a missing leg or a limp.  i can even see Mal getting the mother of all scars down his pretty face, but i just cannot see them dying.  lindsay is not that cruel
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
  • The plot bunnies, they will not leave me alone!!!
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 01:52:33 pm »
Seeing one the main characters actually dying would be out of character for this style of book, I think. Although there ARE some more serious subject (Am's torture, Sic's childhood), it's mostly a lighthearted romp (and it's the way I like it!). So, unlike a book like Fionavar's Tapestry or Tigana, it just doesn't have the kind atmosphere to make such a character death fit with the rest of her serie. It would be off-putting even. Still, As kitty said, I could see some permanent injury; and I think Mal would be dashing with a scar too :P
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:14:46 pm by Moondreamer »
"You have a disturbing sense of humor."
http://www.nault-findley.com/

Kitty

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 01:54:12 pm »
oh so do i, in fact i think it would make him look dangerously delicious ;)

this serious is just too much fun to kill one of the team.  i want depressing I'll watch Eastenders
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

ndngirl

• "Whatever you wish, Amaranthe" - Sicarius
  • JenT
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 12:33:38 pm »
Hey Kitty! Lindsay said she would write another Cedar and Kali story after book 6!
""Yes" He kissed her on the neck, and the warmth of his lips sent a wave of heat through her." Sicarius and Amaranthe
Conspiracy

Kara

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 02:32:46 pm »
Yeah!!!  I am all for more of Kali and Cedar:)

ndngirl

• "Whatever you wish, Amaranthe" - Sicarius
  • JenT
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 04:05:30 pm »
I KNOW!!!!!
""Yes" He kissed her on the neck, and the warmth of his lips sent a wave of heat through her." Sicarius and Amaranthe
Conspiracy

Kitty

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 10:25:05 am »
*runs around excitedly waving hands in the air like i just don't care*

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 02:22:41 pm »

*the roof the roof the roof is on fire*
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."

Erik

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 03:02:52 pm »

*the roof the roof the roof is on fire*

I blame Maldynado.

Kara

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 06:29:31 pm »
Good choice!!

Kitty

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2013, 05:32:40 am »
I blame our little pyromaniac Akstyr >:D

Meera

• Frosted Buns Enthusiast
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 06:21:10 am »
Just as long as it's not Amaranthe, right? ;)
"All right, girl, we are not going to be attracted to the amoral assassin."