Author Topic: The Cut "Physical Therapy" Scene... :O  (Read 9612 times)

LindsayB

• I write books. ;)
    • http://www.lindsayburoker.com
The Cut "Physical Therapy" Scene... :O
« on: February 14, 2013, 06:32:05 pm »
Well, I don't think this will be up to the standards of the other fan-fics, but I did say I'd post it...

This was in EE5, cut from the night before Amaranthe and Sicarius headed out to Marblecrest Island:

Amaranthe woke with a gasp of pain. For a confused moment, she was back on Pike's table, with his ugly knife lancing holes in her leg, but the dim contours of the campsite gradually came into focus. Trees rose behind her, a few stars visible through the branches, and the lake lay before her, soft waves lapping at the beach. The real estate book lay where she'd left it--it'd been too dark to read by the time they eluded the enforcers, but she intended to scour over the pages as soon as dawn came.

Grounded once again, her thumping heart slowed down. Amaranthe reached down to massage her leg. The pain that had woken her emanated from her hamstring and made her knee ache as well. Knots of tension also plagued her back and neck; she imagined how a harshly wrung washcloth must feel. Sleeping on hard, cold earth didn't help. She knew she had Pike to thank for this. The first couple of nights, she'd been too tired to wake up, but now a few hours of inactivity brought pain that wouldn't be ignored or easily lessened. She eyed the sky again, wondering how far off dawn was. As long as she was awake and uncomfortable, she preferred to study the real estate book. But she and Sicarius hadn't built a fire, not with enforcers aware that they were hiding out in the woods.

A hand came to rest on her shoulder.

"Sorry." Amaranthe grimaced as she shifted her leg, trying to find a different position. "It's probably hard to avoid the notice of an enforcer search party when your partner is whimpering in her sleep."

"They returned to their homes some time ago." Sicarius crouched beside her. "Describe the pain."

"I don't think any limbs are going to fall off. It's sort of like the morning after one of your particularly excruciating exercise sessions, except worse." Amaranthe leaned against his thigh. "Perhaps, if you laid down and snuggled with me and provided a nice soft arm as a pillow, it'd alleviate my discomfort."

"Soft?"

Amaranthe grinned. His arm probably was harder than the earth. Well, it'd been worth a try.

"Take off your clothes, and lie on your stomach," Sicarius said.

Heat flushed Amaranthe's cheeks. "Er. Not that I'm going to balk, but... why?" She couldn't--unfortunately--imagine that he had anything carnal in mind.

"Physical trauma often creates primary and secondary myofascial pain points in the muscle bellies. They must be deactivated through somatic manipulation to return the body to homeostasis."

Either because it was the middle of the night, or because that explanation had been worthy of a Books lecture, Amaranthe had to run it through her head a couple of times before she got the gist. "Sicarius, are you offering to give me a massage?"

He snorted. "I doubt it will be pleasurable. If I am correct, there are nodules in the muscle fibers that must be worked out, not unlike digging a knot out of a shoelace."

Now that she knew what he intended, Amaranthe couldn't wriggle out of her clothes and onto her belly quickly enough. She'd been dreaming of his hands giving her something more intimate than punches and joint locks for months, so she'd gladly endure a little pain for the experience.

Despite his warnings, and a precise skill for finding those painful nodules and digging into them, Amaranthe wouldn't have given up the next hour for anything. The muscles loosened beneath his efficient probes, and she suspected--hoped--the memory of those warm, calloused hands working over her neck, back, and hamstrings would be seared into her mind forever. She chose not to remember why he had such precise knowledge of the human muscular systems and simply appreciated what was a far better than usual application of his expertise. By the time the sky lightened in the east, her body possessed the tensile tendencies of a puddle of melted wax.

Amaranthe emitted a mew of protest when he gave her shoulder a final soft pat.

"That is enough. You will experience soreness."

"I can live with that." The absence of his hands left her back feeling terribly cold, but he'd already stood to go, so  Amaranthe reluctantly pulled her shirt over her head.

"I will check to see if the enforcers are renewing their pursuit."

"Sicarius?" Amaranthe asked, causing him to pause before disappearing into the woods. "Thank you. Oh, and remember when you asked what sort of career you might pursue if we succeeded in creating an empire where an assassin's skills weren't needed?"

"Yes."

"You'd have to work on your bedside matter, but those hands would be great for physical therapy."

"I have no interest in touching strangers."

She supposed she should be flattered that he deigned to touch her. "If you talk to people for a while, they become less strange."
"Only to you, Amaranthe." He said it in a soft, almost bemused manner, so she couldn't take offense.

Before she could ask if she'd require daily "therapy" session, he'd disappeared into the predawn gloom.

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
  • The plot bunnies, they will not leave me alone!!!
Re: The Cut "Physical Therapy" Scene... :O
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 07:07:53 pm »
To say the truth, I see why it was cut; Sicarius is a little out of character in that scene. But, one thing makes me sad. In that scene, we see that Amaranthe has some aftereffects from the torture. Bad dreams, physical pain, and having cut i, I think it's missing somewhat in how believalble the ordeal and its consequences are. Hell, she spent a week being tortured. As strong mentally as Amaranthe is, you WOULD expect some nightmares and discomfort.

Also, I forgot, but SQUEEEE!

That's all.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:13:33 pm by Moondreamer »
"You have a disturbing sense of humor."
http://www.nault-findley.com/

sweartoad

• I'm on DeviantArt (occasionally)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 07:10:28 pm »
THANK YOU :D

My (belated) Valentine's has been made!

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 07:33:50 pm »
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.  <3
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

FanOfEE

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 07:47:54 pm »
Thank you! As usually I loved it.

ndngirl

• "Whatever you wish, Amaranthe" - Sicarius
  • JenT
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:03:24 pm »
Woohoo!Amazing! Thank you Lindsay!
""Yes" He kissed her on the neck, and the warmth of his lips sent a wave of heat through her." Sicarius and Amaranthe
Conspiracy

Kara

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:04:14 pm »
Loooved it:). Awesome valentine:)

Lysana

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 08:25:13 pm »
That was lovely. :-D Thanks for sharing it!

Squee! :-D

littleredcoat

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 08:36:21 pm »
Lindsay, I love it! 

I can see why you cut it, but I hope you keep the idea and work it in somehow.  I like (well, I don't like it, but I find it believable) Amaranthe's reaction here.  I find the idea that there are consequences involved in the whole situation adds quite a bit to the story.  Adding in some psychological ramifications to Am's experience makes it more believable overall and makes her a more relatable character.

I hope I don't sound critical, because I really like what you did here!  I also kind of love the whole "deleted scenes" thing.  Are you planning on any more? 
"A stray cat perhaps."
"Adorable, loyal, and lovable?"
"Nosy, curious, and independent."  His eyes crinkled.  "Not something you plan to bring home."
Amaranthe found hope in his light tone.  "But something you appreciate once it's there?"

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 08:48:59 pm »
Lindsay, I love you. <3 Thank you!

I agree with Moon and Red that I see why you cut it, but I do very much appreciate seeing Amaranthe experiencing some after effects from being tortured. It makes the experience much more realistic and believable, since she's been a bit of a Wonder Woman of late.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be over here giggling at the thought of Sicarius as a massage therapist. Heh!

ETA: Um, Lindsay. Out of interest -- burning interest, even -- this isn't Sicarius's version of pillow talk, is it?

Because . . . hmm. Considerate, yes. Obviously has her well-being in mind. And it seems very him, somehow.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:53:59 pm by Sarah »
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:32 pm »
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

sweartoad

• I'm on DeviantArt (occasionally)
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 11:36:57 pm »

Because . . . hmm. Considerate, yes. Obviously has her well-being in mind. And it seems very him, somehow.

When I read that I was like, this is totally what he would say to her after they've slept together, ahaha >:D

Meera

• Frosted Buns Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 05:42:39 am »
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! 

Totally made MY Valentine's Day.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:45:25 am by Meera »
"All right, girl, we are not going to be attracted to the amoral assassin."

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 07:53:46 am »

Sorry Cael but it kinda made me smile
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

LMSherwin

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 09:08:09 am »
YAY! Loved it!
L.M. Sherwin
Author and Book-Nerd
Website
Facebook