Author Topic: Decrypted  (Read 13301 times)

exstock

• Carnivorous
Decrypted
« on: February 27, 2013, 05:52:58 pm »
How is there not a Decrypted thread yet?  Am I just being slow of eyesight again?

Anyway.  I'm barely a third of the way done yet, but... how much do I love Tikaya's mother?   ;D

[Pore.  Not pour.  One should not pour things over one's books if one wants to keep them.  Sorry! Pet peeve! Me love you long time!  Also, affecting rather than effecting.  Argh, why doesn't that part of my brain have an off button?]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:06:53 pm by exstock »
"I'm getting my turtleneck. I'm not defusing a bomb in this!"

kchighley

• Evil Overlord, cat lover, warrior of the red pen.
    • Yeah, here I am
Re: Decrypted
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:37:23 pm »

[Pore.  Not pour.  One should not pour things over one's books if one wants to keep them.  Sorry! Pet peeve! Me love you long time!  Also, affecting rather than effecting.  Argh, why doesn't that part of my brain have an off button?]

It's not just me! I had a character pouring over a map recently. Hmm...maybe this explains how I missed that in the Decrypted beta read.  ???
"Should we take their clothes?"
"To what end?"
"....Pockets?"

Find me on Facebook

Carradee

• Misti Wolanski
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:40:36 pm »
*snort* Those tripped me up, too. There are some other ones, too, though I didn't care to flag them. I'll catch them in a re-read.

I've finished the book, though, and enjoyed it. :)
Amaranthe/Sicarius fangirl, who wonders why she has a fondness for fictional characters that she'd suspects she'd flee if she met 'em in real life.

exstock

• Carnivorous
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 10:12:31 pm »
I don't know why it is, but that kind of thing just catches on my brain like a hangnail!  I recently read a book (NOT by Lindsay or any of the authors who frequent the boards, mind you!) that failed at homophones to such a degree that I would have concluded that it must have been intentional, if there hadn't been so many other obvious errors.  I mean, their sovereigns rained, their readers poured while the rain pored down, thei--no wait, there, and sometimes they're characters never new which homophone too use.  I can't even remember which book it was now, but it was painful... although not too bad a story, if read aloud.  :o

So far I'm at 79%, and I've only noticed one or two other mistakes, which still beats out a good 98% of the traditionally published books I've read, so kudos anyway!

LindsayB

• I write books. ;)
    • http://www.lindsayburoker.com
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 10:37:56 pm »
I've recruited a couple of folks to send me typo lists, so I'll try to get them knocked out of there soon. If I were smart, I'd wait until *after* those people read the manuscripts to publish, but I seem to have promised "by the end of February" to more than a few people, so I wanted to make it!

Thanks for reading!

It's not just me! I had a character pouring over a map recently. Hmm...maybe this explains how I missed that in the Decrypted beta read.  ???

Hah, well my editor must have missed them too. :P It just seems that it's impossible for one person to catch everything (or five for that matter). I now grin with delight when I find typos in traditionally published books--glad to see they get past those guys too!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:42:04 pm by LindsayB »

exstock

• Carnivorous
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 11:05:03 pm »
Since my birthday was 2 days ago, I for one appreciate the timing!  Mmm, prezzies.

exstock

• Carnivorous
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:34:41 pm »
...And finished, and it was good, and I'd like to remind the author that people don't stop having interesting adventures just because they've signed a really long contract...

;)

SparkleGirl

• <insert inspiring text here>
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 03:15:39 pm »
Can we get an artist's impression of Rias in his island attire? Please *bats lashes at BM and ST*  ;D
"Oh good," Maldynado said. "Isabel got out."

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 08:34:48 pm »
re: typos in books
I'm not going to name any names, but someone wrote a review on Amazon about a book with some truly terrible typos.  It's called The Mighty Storm.  Said review is usually the second most helpful.  There are EXAMPLES.  :P

re: affect/effect - I can understand them as nouns, but once they become verbs or adverbs or anything else, I'm lost. 

I caught a few random, tiny things, but sadly no breasts with gaping maws.  I still don't understand how SO MANY of us missed that one!
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 08:40:19 pm »
Also, I realized while reading - yes, he'd have to get a bit more physically fit (and yes, I know he has blue eyes, they're a weakness of mine, shaddap already) but this is how I see Rias.  <3
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

blackmetallic

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 08:58:42 pm »
Also, I realized while reading - yes, he'd have to get a bit more physically fit (and yes, I know he has blue eyes, they're a weakness of mine, shaddap already) but this is how I see Rias.  <3
I see him more like this (just add grey) ;D

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather

LindsayB

• I write books. ;)
    • http://www.lindsayburoker.com
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 11:46:15 pm »

Yes. :)

If you're selecting men, er, models, does that mean there's artwork coming?

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 08:37:22 am »
How precisely would one go about blowing a grain silo sky high?  I feel the need to...experiment >:D
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

Elladine

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 11:57:00 am »
While I really enjoyed this book, I rather liked Encrypted better. I still find it odd, cause with the EE series I haven't liked one book more than the other. So not exactly sure why it is that I preferred the first book more than the second.

blackmetallic

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 01:16:29 pm »

Yes. :)

If you're selecting men, er, models, does that mean there's artwork coming?
Maybe ;)

Damn if I COULD just go and select him and take him with me. Alas, it's not so *sighs*. Plus the hubby might complain.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather