Author Topic: Mr. Stabby's Covert Mapmaking Operation  (Read 3932 times)

MrStabby

Mr. Stabby's Covert Mapmaking Operation
« on: March 14, 2013, 07:32:33 pm »
It is useful for this Member of the NB deadly assassins to have reliable geographic intel in order to arrange clandestine rendezvous with Ms. Gabby his sources.

Therefore, I have embarked upon a catalog of all geographic allusions throughout the series, and uploaded as a Google Doc:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6Dyn3Rm5LNMb3FiRjNhOGdtQUE/edit?usp=sharing

The first two pages of my notes contain places and citations (by Kindle location) supporting my inferences. On the third page, I begin the process of aggregating the data into broader districts. I have started to block out the districts of Stumps on the fourth page, as consistently as possible.

Unfortunately, I have been ... busy ... lately, uh, entertaining my coterie of admirers. And so I come to you, fine ladies and gentlemen, for any comments you may have. Have I forgotten about any scenes with geographic details? This work-in-progress is yet incomplete, but I dream of the day when I hold in my mind a detailed street map of Stumps. Not the least of my reasons for this being locating the most secure areas for "letting my guard down" with Ms. Gabby (if you know what I mean  ::) ) blocking irresponsible pastry fiends on the numerous routes to Curi's.

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
Re: Mr. Stabby's Covert Mapmaking Operation
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 07:42:15 pm »
Fantastic.

Lindsay, can we take it for granted that the numbered streets are a military/grid layout, or are the streets in Stumps more meandering?  I know there are a lot of alleys that seem to interconnect.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:48:30 pm by riamachia »
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

blackmetallic

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 07:51:41 pm »
It is useful for this Member of the NB deadly assassins to have reliable geographic intel in order to arrange clandestine rendezvous with Ms. Gabby his sources.

Therefore, I have embarked upon a catalog of all geographic allusions throughout the series, and uploaded as a Google Doc:

The first two pages of my notes contain places and citations (by Kindle location) supporting my inferences. On the third page, I begin the process of aggregating the data into broader districts. I have started to block out the districts of Stumps on the fourth page, as consistently as possible.

Unfortunately, I have been ... busy ... lately, uh, entertaining my coterie of admirers. And so I come to you, fine ladies and gentlemen, for any comments you may have. Have I forgotten about any scenes with geographic details? This work-in-progress is yet incomplete, but I dream of the day when I hold in my mind a detailed street map of Stumps. Not the least of my reasons for this being locating the most secure areas for "letting my guard down" with Ms. Gabby (if you know what I mean  ::) ) blocking irresponsible pastry fiends on the numerous routes to Curi's.

Once you are done with the visual part of this project may I turn it into a more artistic, illustrated map?

This is genius, btw.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather

MrStabby

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 07:56:12 pm »

Once you are done with the visual part of this project may I turn it into a more artistic, illustrated map?

This is genius, btw.

Absolutely. Email me and we will talk.

lord.general.unreadable@gmail.com

LindsayB

• I write books. ;)
    • http://www.lindsayburoker.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 11:45:14 pm »
Wow, are you guys making me a map? That I can put in the ebooks? :D (For the record, I refuse to credit "Mr. Stabby," so he/she/it will need a pen name).

Lindsay, can we take it for granted that the numbered streets are a military/grid layout, or are the streets in Stumps more meandering?  I know there are a lot of alleys that seem to interconnect.

Depends on what part of the city you're in. ;) The newer areas are grid-like, but Akstyr's neighborhood, for example, is built up over an old city and should be a crooked, meandering mess. Without sewers, IIRC.

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 11:25:25 am »
so basically the bastard child of New York and Ankh Morpork?  Excellent!
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

Kara

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:19:00 pm »
I am sure this is brilliant, however, once again the iPad refuses to cooperate and show me the genius work, grrrr!

moldynotgo

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 07:20:35 am »
This is so, so the awesome.

kchighley

• Evil Overlord, cat lover, warrior of the red pen.
    • Yeah, here I am
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 10:01:30 pm »
Wait...Mr. Stabby has an email address? This is unexpected. And awesome.  ;D
"Should we take their clothes?"
"To what end?"
"....Pockets?"

Find me on Facebook

LindsayB

• I write books. ;)
    • http://www.lindsayburoker.com
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 12:16:04 am »

I hear he has an agent too.

K2N2

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 11:26:40 am »
I hear he has an agent too.
Another author?  Do I need to pony up and support another wordsmith?  If the poetry is any indication I'll be happy to do so.

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 03:59:13 pm »
While I am thinking about it, I will share this here.

A while ago, I started a list of characters in the books, to try to figure out how Lindsay put together names. (Still haven't figured it out, but I have theories.) So, I put together this spreadsheet on Google Docs/Drive/Whatever. I didn't get very far, because as it turns out, making a list of character names is not as much fun as just reading the books. Who knew?

But I'm offering this up here, in case anyone wanted to do some more work on the books after Dark Currents. Or if someone needed a(n incomplete) list of every single character to appear in the books.
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

Meera

• Frosted Buns Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 09:24:44 am »
And Mr. Stabby is included with these characters, yes? He has such a life outside of Sicarius!
"All right, girl, we are not going to be attracted to the amoral assassin."

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 06:39:40 pm »
I don't think Mr. Stabby is going to make an appearance in the books until EE6 or EE7, and I can't list characters in books I haven't read yet. But when he shows up . . . detailed description. Glorious Technicolor, for sure.
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents