Author Topic: Turgonian Dates  (Read 5659 times)

K2N2

Turgonian Dates
« on: March 28, 2013, 04:59:01 pm »
No...not courting customs or fruit.  I happened to be rereading Decrypted and realized that one could get a good idea of the current date using the information provided.  So I whipped out the timeline I use for fanfiction and ran some numbers.  Here is what I came up with.  KAC = Kayatt After Colonization and Ty = Turgonian year.

1.  Kyatt Islands colonized 700 years prior to Decrypted (Decrypted p. 143)  KAC 0; Ty -55.
2.  Turgonia colonized 55 years later (Decrypted p. 292)  KAC 55; Ty 1
3.  Date of last map with the basin on it. (Decrypted p. 239)  KAC 374; Ty 319
4.  Date of first map with the basin removed (Decrypted p. 239) KAC 469; Ty 414
5.  The basin disappeared from maps 400 years ago (Decrypted p. 238)
6.  Therefore:  Decrypted is approximately KAC 869; Ty 814

So knowing this, when does EE occur?

1.  Sicarius is 17 in Encrypted (Encrypted p. 461)
2.  Sicarius was 15 when Starcrest met him on the Kyatt Island mission (Encrypted p. 470)
3.  Sespian was conceived when Sicarius was 15 while he was punished for failure (Dark Currents p. 397). 
4.  At the start of Emperor's Edge Sespian is 19 (EE1 p.21, 133).
5.  Therefore:  If Encrypted occurs in KAC 868/Ty 813 then Sespian was conceived in KAC 866/Ty 811.  Sespian's birthday is in winter/early spring (EE1 p 21) so he was born in KAC 867/Ty 814.  Add Sespian's age of 19 and the current date is approximately KAC 887/Ty832

Yes, I went a little OCD on this last night.  Did I miss anyting or do the math wrong?

Edit:  Grumble...I forgot that the forum gremlins like to eat anything cut/pasted with quotation marks or apostrophes.

Edit 2: Per Request Copy of Timeline in Excel and PDF added at the top of the thread.  I've added a few more items and organized a bit.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:21:45 pm by K2N2 »

sweartoad

• I'm on DeviantArt (occasionally)
Re: Turgonian Dates
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 05:56:42 pm »
Not to nitpick, but you say that Sespian was born in 814 and that Encrypted happens in 813 :D

Other than that, I bow down to your OCDness. I have kind of been looking for something EXACTLY like this, and you did it.

I salute you, ma'am.

K2N2

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 06:25:19 pm »
You are correct...that don't work right.  Considering that I did it at speed I'm not surprised.  My limited math skills tend to be the first to go when I get tired.  Someday I'll put the dates into my spreadsheet/timeline, set up the formula and let it do the calculations for me!

Edit: That means Sespian conceived KAC 866/Ty 811 and born 867/812 which means current date would be 887/832 all depending on where the end of the year is in Turgonia. 

Just had another thought: Wouldn't it be just crazy if the Turgonian year started on the summer solstice or some other random date as opposed to mid winter?  Even worse if the Nurians had one year start, Kyatt another and Turgonia a third.  Date conversions would really be a b****.  Well I suppose it couldn't be worse than Calendar year (Jan-Dec), Fiscal year (July-June) and US Federal Fiscal Year (Oct-Sep).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:41:32 pm by K2N2 »

Kara

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 08:37:33 pm »
Nice Math skills, thank you for sharing the results!

Carradee

• Misti Wolanski
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 07:34:59 am »
I'd have to put it in a spreadsheet to check your math, but nice of you to put that all together!

Just had another thought: Wouldn't it be just crazy if the Turgonian year started on the summer solstice or some other random date as opposed to mid winter?  Even worse if the Nurians had one year start, Kyatt another and Turgonia a third.  Date conversions would really be a b****.  Well I suppose it couldn't be worse than Calendar year (Jan-Dec), Fiscal year (July-June) and US Federal Fiscal Year (Oct-Sep).

Yes. I did this to myself with one of my series. The four primary kinds all have their own calendars and holidays, which don't all match up…and the series has a different POV each book. And the differing POVs use differing calendars.
Amaranthe/Sicarius fangirl, who wonders why she has a fondness for fictional characters that she'd suspects she'd flee if she met 'em in real life.

K2N2

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 10:04:58 am »
Holy headache Batman!  Every event would need 4 dates.  I bet your background notes were something to behold.

Edit:  Grumble...the forum gremlins have eaten my post twice now.  Do they like/dislike my comments or am I just the designated victim this week?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 10:16:46 am by K2N2 »

Carradee

• Misti Wolanski
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 11:44:51 am »
Holy headache Batman!  Every event would need 4 dates.  I bet your background notes were something to behold.

Oh, they are. I figured out a spreadsheet that mostly converts it for me, though I do have to watch when the year changes.

Edit:  Grumble...the forum gremlins have eaten my post twice now.  Do they like/dislike my comments or am I just the designated victim this week?

It's the special characters. They do it to me, too, but I copy my posts, go back, and edit my post to get it back in. :)
Amaranthe/Sicarius fangirl, who wonders why she has a fondness for fictional characters that she'd suspects she'd flee if she met 'em in real life.

K2N2

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 12:41:27 pm »
I understand the spreadsheet.  I ended up putting all my misc event sequence research for EE related fan fiction into one just to keep it all straight.  I've been adding to it whenever I reread one of the books.  Its quickly turning into a monster but now its a monster with dates!

ndngirl

• "Whatever you wish, Amaranthe" - Sicarius
  • JenT
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 02:34:14 pm »
There is a spreadsheet on here somewhere of dates. you should edit it. Mana created it, and then i did a little to it as well...
""Yes" He kissed her on the neck, and the warmth of his lips sent a wave of heat through her." Sicarius and Amaranthe
Conspiracy

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 03:17:47 pm »
There is a spreadsheet on here somewhere of dates. you should edit it. Mana created it, and then i did a little to it as well...

There's a link to it on the front page of the forum.
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."

K2N2

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 04:35:25 pm »
I ended up doing mine a bit differently than that one.  I just designated X as the start of EE1 and then ran backward and forward from there.

When I get all the blanks filled in (I've got some info that I remember but I don't have a page cite for yet and the dates in KAC and TY) I'll toss a copy up here for anyone to use.

ndngirl

• JenT
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 10:05:13 am »
can you post the link here? i cant get the home page from work... and would love to see what you did.
""Yes" He kissed her on the neck, and the warmth of his lips sent a wave of heat through her." Sicarius and Amaranthe
Conspiracy

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 10:28:32 am »
can you post the link here? i cant get the home page from work... and would love to see what you did.

Who's link?
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."

ndngirl

• JenT
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 10:35:51 am »
i thought k2n2 had posted her copy.
Conspiracy

K2N2

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 11:18:53 am »
i thought k2n2 had posted her copy.
I haven't yet.  I'll try and get a draft up sometime today.  I'll try and do both Excel and PDF so everyone can at least look at it.