Author Topic: FiB II  (Read 12934 times)

chelabella21

Re: FiB II
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 01:59:26 am »
I don't think she did in this book but, I doubt she stopped for good.
"If you two sludge-licking toads so much as wave those knives in my direction, I'll rip your apples off, stuff them like taxidermy ostriches, then hand deliver them to your boss with the suggestion that they be incorporated into future juggling practices."   - Evrial Yara

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 08:33:56 am »
OK who do i bribe/spoil/threaten/beg to get the uncut scene?

and just to add: lubrication *sniggers*
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

lectorsbooks

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 08:45:48 am »

(My brother was a fighter pilot when Firefly came out.  He and his fellow pilots were almost all instantly hooked on Firefly, especially since sending Firefly to the troops was a popular Browncoat pastime, and it got quoted by the pilots at apt times.  As in, if you were listening in, you'd hear pilots and/or troops in actual trouble who needed support say, "We're experiencing some local color down here, a grand entrance would not go amiss."  And they'd get their grand entrance... :) )

That is the coolest thing I've ever heard. :)

Elladine

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 10:24:58 am »
Am I the only one that got a little teary during the haircut scene? Not during the haircut itself of course, but some time after that.

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
  • The plot bunnies, they will not leave me alone!!!
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 10:42:25 am »
Oh, yes, yes... I admit I bawled my eyes out at the very last few lines of the book, when Sespian takes his hand and Sicarius hopes for a better future.
"You have a disturbing sense of humor."
http://www.nault-findley.com/

dptalia

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 11:57:07 am »
I think we all bawled.  And then had to go reread the haircut scene to cheer ourselves up.

Carradee

• Misti Wolanski
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 12:57:23 pm »
I think we all bawled.  And then had to go reread the haircut scene to cheer ourselves up.

*sips coffee*

*looks askance at cat sleeping on the other chair beside her*

Perhaps I should mention that I have a hormone disorder before I admit I didn't bawl and was actually gratified to see that Sicarius's failure to secure the door did, in fact, have drastic consequences. (I noticed the lack of door-securing before Sicarius did.)

I also started tallying authorial reasons why it was probably best for Books to die. Failing to save Akstyr would've destroyed Books. Books dying to save Akstyr was a penace, of sorts, for his failure to save his son.

And while I liked Books (and would love to see the story of his first mission with Sicarius), I don't think he would've handled surviving all that well. He had nowhere to go, nothing to do. Perhaps he would've found something, but… I don't see him as having enough will to live to actually find reason to keep going on. The others would've gladly worked at him, giving him direction, but eventually, I think guilt and self-loathing would've overtaken him.

I also had the impression that he wanted to die, and he went in the best way possible, for him.

*shrug*

Another factor in my lack of reaction probably is I'm currently writing some stories with major character angst and death, so I'm kinda…inured, at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if I someday find myself bawling upon re-reading the book. :)
Amaranthe/Sicarius fangirl, who wonders why she has a fondness for fictional characters that she'd suspects she'd flee if she met 'em in real life.

Neith

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 01:27:46 pm »
I also started tallying authorial reasons why it was probably best for Books to die. Failing to save Akstyr would've destroyed Books. Books dying to save Akstyr was a penace, of sorts, for his failure to save his son.

And while I liked Books (and would love to see the story of his first mission with Sicarius), I don't think he would've handled surviving all that well. He had nowhere to go, nothing to do. Perhaps he would've found something, but
"It was as if she'd thrown a wrench into the workings of his mind. His mental machinery ground to halt, locking onto that single word. Children."

Libra Seeking Balance

Carradee

• Misti Wolanski
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 01:51:11 pm »

And while I liked Books (and would love to see the story of his first mission with Sicarius), I don't think he would've handled surviving all that well. He had nowhere to go, nothing to do. Perhaps he would've found something, but

I'm sorry, what were you saying, Neith? The forum gremlin ate your response. :/
Amaranthe/Sicarius fangirl, who wonders why she has a fondness for fictional characters that she'd suspects she'd flee if she met 'em in real life.

Neith

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 02:23:46 pm »
I'm sorry, what were you saying, Neith? The forum gremlin ate your response. :/

Drat! I said I was very much in agreement with you, Carradee!  :) It made the most sense from a plot line perspective.

Besides, after reading The Game of Thrones and seeing George R R Martine gleefully slaughter main characters right and left, killing off one was nothing.  :o
"It was as if she'd thrown a wrench into the workings of his mind. His mental machinery ground to halt, locking onto that single word. Children."

Libra Seeking Balance

Kitty

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 02:47:57 pm »
difference being game of thrones is slit your wrist depressing
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

blackmetallic

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 02:51:06 pm »
difference being game of thrones is slit your wrist depressing
That's why I never even started watching/reading it. Too much violence and death, it seems like the books exist just for those two things sometimes  ::)
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather

Kitty

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 03:00:42 pm »
I think I managed to force myself through the first book when it originally came out.  I gave it to the charity shop when I'd finished and went back to Pratchett.

blackmetallic

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 03:10:49 pm »
Oh... Which side of Sic's head was Wizard F***faces stone? I can't remember and don't feel like going back to read the end of EE6 I to find it.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather

Kitty

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 03:16:18 pm »
right temple wasn't it?