Author Topic: Director's Cut  (Read 11007 times)

moldynotgo

Re: Director's Cut
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 02:15:22 am »
I'm sorry, but I MUST OBJECT.

WHERE. IS. THE. BACKSTORY???

Maybe we can assume he was taught the arts of seduction in 'training,' but wasn't that a long time ago? And who, Marathi? Pike was sadistic. And then also, wouldn't being with any other women completely bypass his trust boundaries, i.e. even more vulnerable than a hair cut! And if Am was the only one who ever wished him happiness, how did he know what she was intending by going for his buttons??

I WANT HIS POV IN THIS SCENE, OR BACKSTORY, OR BOTH.

Thank you.
Signed,
Moldy"greedy!"notgo

PS - I mean... THANK YOU EMPRESS. Now please answer all my questions. Kthxbye.

CatLangford

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 02:33:02 am »
I'm sorry, but I MUST OBJECT.

WHERE. IS. THE. BACKSTORY???

Maybe we can assume he was taught the arts of seduction in 'training,' but wasn't that a long time ago? And who, Marathi? Pike was sadistic. And then also, wouldn't being with any other women completely bypass his trust boundaries, i.e. even more vulnerable than a hair cut! And if Am was the only one who ever wished him happiness, how did he know what she was intending by going for his buttons??

I can't remember the exact quote, but somewhere in his thoughts in EE6 he made it quite clear that he does have sex with women (or at least he did up until he met Amaranthe) but only ever as a "physical release", i.e. no emotional attachment. I got the sense he's had more experience than Amaranthe, perhaps quite a lot more.

Remember his great failing (other than social awkwardness) as demonstrated in The Assassin's Curse: Hubris. I doubt he'd ever have thought of anyone as enough of a threat to him to avoid having sex. Though of course, there would be approximately zero chance of him rolling over and going to sleep after. That would have been too risky.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:35:50 am by CatLangford »
'Somewhere along the way, though, this had become more than just a mission. It was... life, he supposed.' - Forged in Blood I

Fantasy writer
@Langford_Cat

moldynotgo

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 03:50:10 am »
Ah, so that same mention in EE6 I thought could well refer to, um, not involving another party in the 'release.'

Lindsay!! We need the canon answer!!

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 06:47:35 am »
Oooooooooooooooooooooh that was good! ;D
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

kchighley

• Evil Overlord, cat lover, warrior of the red pen.
    • Yeah, here I am
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 10:40:07 am »
Ah, so that same mention in EE6 I thought could well refer to, um, not involving another party in the 'release.'

Lindsay!! We need the canon answer!!

I'm not sure I even want to get into the middle of this debate, but "sex" is your keyword in that sentence. Along with: "He'd certainly never thought the opinion of a woman would matter. For him sex was a physical release, nothing more. A biological need to be taken care of, nothing bound up in emotions." What I think he was saying is he'd had sex (both by himself and with a partner)--men have "needs"--but it probably as a casual thing that didn't mean much afterward.  As far as being vulnerable, the haircut had more to do with blades being near his throat. Frankly, I think he seduced the woman in Deadly Games to erm, acquire that eyeball, then ran around the lab naked and killing people--so nudity doesn't really bother him. He's a threat either way. I also think that's why he disappeared for a few days before butting into Ammy's date. He had to "regain equanimity" after the things he had to do to escape. And if you really want analysis, I think Sic disappeared for an even bigger reason--he felt like he betrayed Ammy and had to get right with himself before confessing that he wanted her to stop seeing Deret.

And now you know why Lindsay complains about me over-analyzing romantic scenes. Maybe I should look into a different line of work....
"Should we take their clothes?"
"To what end?"
"....Pockets?"

Find me on Facebook

Lita

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 10:48:18 am »
I also think that's why he disappeared for a few days before butting into Ammy's date. He had to "regain equanimity" after the things he had to do to escape. And if you really want analysis, I think Sic disappeared for an even bigger reason--he felt like he betrayed Ammy and had to get right with himself before confessing that he wanted her to stop seeing Deret.

That was my take on the entire thing too - And just, damn, I'm thankful for the chance to read this longer scene, but <insert scream here> what other really good stuff have we missed because it was edited out... Are we going to get director cuts of other things? Cause I'd pay for those.. truly, even with the typo (yea I saw only one but really I was too caught up in the scene to pay too close attention [there is a her hair when I think it should be a his hair])
If you are going to walk on thin ice... You might as well Dance!

Kitty

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 10:57:47 am »
there were typos? :o
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

Lita

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 11:20:36 am »
there were typos? :o
The one (and only that I saw) was in the director's cut download, (and if I hadn't just proof read an email for work I'd likely not have seen it), it was:

"She buried her face in her hair, this time not hesitating to inhale, to breath in the scent of his soap,..."

The underlined her should be his -

Now I'm going to find coffee and read it again, cause well, yum...
If you are going to walk on thin ice... You might as well Dance!

judy

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 12:44:45 pm »
Has ANYTHING on the forum been downloaded 500 times in less than two days? Whoa, lurkers...  ::)
It's possible we remember the events a little differently.

blackmetallic

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 12:52:42 pm »
Has ANYTHING on the forum been downloaded 500 times in less than two days? Whoa, lurkers...  ::)
It IS a rather juicy piece of literature :D
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather

Kitty

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 01:36:49 pm »
oi!  Lurkers!  Come out and join in with the fun!

Meera

• Frosted Buns Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 06:53:49 pm »
I'm not sure I even want to get into the middle of this debate, but "sex" is your keyword in that sentence. Along with: "He'd certainly never thought the opinion of a woman would matter. For him sex was a physical release, nothing more. A biological need to be taken care of, nothing bound up in emotions." What I think he was saying is he'd had sex (both by himself and with a partner)--men have "needs"--but it probably as a casual thing that didn't mean much afterward.  As far as being vulnerable, the haircut had more to do with blades being near his throat. Frankly, I think he seduced the woman in Deadly Games to erm, acquire that eyeball, then ran around the lab naked and killing people--so nudity doesn't really bother him. He's a threat either way. I also think that's why he disappeared for a few days before butting into Ammy's date. He had to "regain equanimity" after the things he had to do to escape. And if you really want analysis, I think Sic disappeared for an even bigger reason--he felt like he betrayed Ammy and had to get right with himself before confessing that he wanted her to stop seeing Deret.

And now you know why Lindsay complains about me over-analyzing romantic scenes. Maybe I should look into a different line of work....

WHOAH, Kendra! You're awesome and I love your analyses. I'm so happy to be your minion.

And I didn't know just how many lurkers were on here. Join in the fun, guys! >:D
"All right, girl, we are not going to be attracted to the amoral assassin."

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 06:56:40 pm »

That could just be five people reading it 100 times each. You never know! Both seem equally plausible to me around here . . .
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

Meera

• Frosted Buns Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 07:02:25 pm »

That could just be five people reading it 100 times each. You never know! Both seem equally plausible to me around here . . .

*Downloading it 100 times each. I think after the first few times, most sensible people would save it.

How many times have you read it, Sarah?  ;)
"All right, girl, we are not going to be attracted to the amoral assassin."

dptalia

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 07:06:38 pm »
Kendra - AMAZING analysis, I want to hear more!  And yes, I would pay very good money for more deleted scenes!  Even with the typos (I would three or four)

And I am so not admitting how many times I've read that scenes.  Lets just say....  almost enough.