Author Topic: Favorite Parts (Series Wide)  (Read 6075 times)

Two Ravens

Favorite Parts (Series Wide)
« on: July 22, 2013, 11:37:30 am »
Now that the entire series is complete, what are everyone's favorite parts?

Even after many memorable moments in FiB 2, my favorite scene is from the end of Blood and Betrayal, when Sespian confronts Sicarius (with a pistol!) about being his father. Such tension! Poor Sespian, everything he thought he knew about himself is thrown in doubt.

And of course, Amaranthe's aside "For future reference, when someone asks you if you've raped someone else, the appropriate answer is a prompt no."

My second favorite might be when Amaranthe meets Starcrest.

Also, as a fan of Encrypted, I did have an "Awww" moment when I found out Tikaya's son was named Agarik.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:40:06 pm by Two Ravens »

exstock

• Carnivorous
Re: Favorite Parts (Series Wide)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 12:06:14 pm »
Now that the entire series is complete, what are everyone's favorite parts?

Even after many memorable moments in FiB 2, my favorite scene is from the end of Blood and Betrayal, when Sespian confronts Sicarius (with a pistol!) about being his father. Such tension! Poor Sespian, everything he thought he knew about himself is thrown in doubt.

And of course, Amaranthe's aside "For future reference, when someone asks you if you've raped someone else, the appropriate answer is a prompt no."

My second favorite might be when Amaranthe meets Starcrest.

Also, as a fan of Encrypted, I did have an "Awww" moment when I found out Tikaya's son was named Agarik.

Forum gremlins ate your post!  I got a full copy of it through the email notify feature thingy, so that's what the above quote is.  I thought it was a good topic that didn't deserve to be eaten. :)

(There's something about quotes and apostrophes--and dashes--that mess up posts to this forum.  More specifically, the characters that are altered to the special left quote/right quote/left apostrophe/right apostrophe/single character dashes.  Anything after those special characters is eaten by gremlins.  Straight up & down quotes and apostrophes and the double dashes are fine; stuff that's been cut&pasted from MS Word and other word processor type programs usually gets altered-without-asking by those programs, and special characters that you never typed in appear to throw a wrench in the works!) 

(And then like an idiot, I forgot to fix the special characters in my quote of your post!)

And yup, such a big "Awwww" moment when I read that the Starcrests' first son was named Agarik!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:08:17 pm by exstock »
"I'm getting my turtleneck. I'm not defusing a bomb in this!"

Two Ravens

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:45:29 pm »
Forum gremlins ate your post!  I got a full copy of it through the email notify feature thingy, so that's what the above quote is.  I thought it was a good topic that didn't deserve to be eaten. :)

Thank you. I tried to edit it. Man, these gremlins are vicious!

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:39:22 pm »
i did go awww over Agarik.  hope we see more of the Starcrest twin in future.  i suspect them and their sister will make Am's ability to blow things up will look like small fry.

I did love Sic and Bas in the underwater lab, and Sic and Am hiding in the ice cellar from the soul construct
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

dptalia

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 06:58:44 pm »
My favorite part isn't part of the written book, but is part of the story -- Sicarius' 300 mile run to rescue Amaranthe.   That is an amazing show of caring - leaving his son behind and pushing forward as hard as possible in an effort to save her.  If you didn't love him before, how can you not after that?

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 07:49:13 pm »
Oddly enough, when Amaranthe has a meltdown all over Sicarius about Wholt's death. I don't know why, but I just love that part. And any scene that demonstrated Mal's complete lack of modesty around Am - nude sunbathing, peeing his name in the snow...

Oh, and it's not technically part of the EE series, but when Starcrest asks Sicarius to go gather bat poop. I still have an image of a forlorn Sicarius standing in the shadows, bat-poop in hand cause maybe, just maybe, Starcrest really needed it. And he's crying a little inside cause he was, as he suspected, tricked.
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

NerdyDragon25

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 10:04:13 pm »
Hmmm..... my favorite parts series wide would have to be:
1. When Amaranthe outlines what the Emperor's Edge is to Sicarius and then gets him into the farmer costume :)

2. I loved it when Amaranthe and Sicarius meet up outside the Behemoth in book 5 and she says, "What? Is in not considered appropriate to wander around naked in the middle of the swamp?" or something along those lines. That whole scene had me smiling with happiness while at te same time I was white knuckling my Kindle with Pike lurking about.

chelabella21

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 12:55:09 am »
One of my favorite scenes is in EE1 when Amaranthe meets Sicarius  for the first time at Pyramid Park

In the beginning of EE2 when poor Booksie falls into the water with a bunch of dead bodies and Maldyando and and him decide to give the corpses to Amaranthe as a birthday present.

And, when Sicarius hugged Amaranthe at the end of The Assassins Curse
"If you two sludge-licking toads so much as wave those knives in my direction, I'll rip your apples off, stuff them like taxidermy ostriches, then hand deliver them to your boss with the suggestion that they be incorporated into future juggling practices."   - Evrial Yara

oxalis

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 09:26:31 am »
Wow.  How to choose?

One of my favorites is the heart-to-heart talk between Am & Sic after she saves him from the soul construct in EE1 (yes, the conversation in which she eventually guesses his relationship to Sespian).  At one point, Sic says he is more comfortable with enemies than friends, and Am responds that she would really prefer to be his friend, even if this disappoints him.  He turns his head away & admits that he is not... disappointed.   

Sigh...

What else to mention?  Gotta think about that for a while...

Kara

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 12:14:48 pm »
One of mine is in Dark Currents when Sicarius pops out the construct after killing the shaman.  You can feel Amaranthe's relief.

Again Amaranthe's mad dash to give Sicarius a hug when he appears on the boat at the end of EE5.5. 

So many great moments....

blackmetallic

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 12:48:41 pm »
It probably comes as no surprise that Sicarius and Amaranthe are my absolute favorites in this series. None of the other characters come even close to me... Thus it probably also makes sense that all the heart-to-hearts the two have had during the 8 books have been my favorite parts. Among the best are the scenes where she stitches his back up and she learns the truth about Sespian, the scene in the back of the lorry where Amaranthe tells Sic she loves him, his desperate 300 mile run to save her (even if it wasn't written about it still broke my heart) and the following cave scene, and last but not least their moment in the office, right before they go on their final mission to the Barracks. The FiBII epilogue hair cut scene is, of course, also a favorite, but the moments of them talking and Sicarius slowly getting more physical with his affection to Amaranthe (and his character evolving otherwise, as well) are truly golden.

I just started rereading the series, so I'm sure I'll find a ton of other faves as I go along :D
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 04:42:44 pm »
All told, I think Dark Currents & Deadly Games are still my favorite books overall.  There are great scenes in every book, but those two just have SO MANY! 

DC -
the talk in the cabin (& an observant assassin)
when he grabs her after the lightning strike
Sicarius in the robot
"I care." 
(ETA - DUH!) Sicarius's reaction to the makarovi attack

DG -
HELLO!  Naked!Sicarius  >:D
also Jealous!Sicarius
eyeball onna stick
Basilard's story
Sicarius balancing Amaranthe in the sub
All of Amaranthe's thoughts regarding Naked!Sicarius
that KISS!!!! 

Plus more, but those are the things that immediately come to mind.  :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:02:07 pm by riamachia »
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

Annie

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 07:59:07 pm »
In addition to all of the above  :) I have to add when Amaranthe says "you dropped this" when Sicarius is sick in Dark Currents.

Hmmm, really anytime Am teases Sicarius is in my favorites list.

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 08:02:45 pm »
In addition to all of the above  :) I have to add when Amaranthe says "you dropped this" when Sicarius is sick in Dark Currents.

Hmmm, really anytime Am teases Sicarius is in my favorites list.

That was hilarious! 
She's so freaking adorable with him. 
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

kchighley

• Evil Overlord, cat lover, warrior of the red pen.
    • Yeah, here I am
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 08:30:52 pm »
Come to Me

Show Me

Huh

Pockets?

Give her a reason

It makes me jealous

Later
"Should we take their clothes?"
"To what end?"