Author Topic: Cherry Blossom and Almond Bark  (Read 10914 times)

SabrielN7

Cherry Blossom and Almond Bark
« on: July 25, 2013, 04:12:38 pm »
Hi! I'm new here.

I have read the first three books, and the beginning of the fourth, and now I'm taking a break to keep my sleep schedule from becoming totally discombobulated.

Instead of reading, now I spend my time THINKING about reading, and looking for fan art on the internet. It may not be an improvement, but it did lead me to discover some of the deliciously naughty art posted on this forum.  ;) Nice work.

Anyways, has Lindsay said anywhere if the scent "Cherry Blossom and Almond Bark" is based on an actual real life shampoo?

So far, I've managed to find a few options, but I haven't tried any of them. Only one of them is actually shampoo, and I'm a little cautious about that one because I've tried Burt's Bees brand shampoo before and my hair hated it. *sigh*

This appears to have fallen from a great height.

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
Re: Cherry Blossom and Almond Bark
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 07:04:53 pm »
I was just sniffing the Gud shampoo in the store the other day, and I thought it smelled terrible. Very fake on the cherry blossom scent -- like running full tilt into a blooming cherry tree that then tried to beat you into liking it.

I think your best bet for finding something pleasing is finding someone who makes all-natural shampoos or shampoo bars without synthetic scents.  I've been very underwhelmed by all the usual drugstore almond-and-cherry scents.
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

Carradee

• Misti Wolanski
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:54:08 pm »
It's actually really easy to make your own conditioner (which is sufficient for shampoo, as well—most folks don't need shampoo; it strips the oils out of your hair). I personally use a modification of a recipe that doesn't seem to be available online anymore. Hrm. :-/

I've also used homemade soap for my hair. I find that cleaners with tea and clove work best for me, possibly due to dandruff. (Which licorice root's also good for, for the record.)

One of my friends has the same type of scalp and hair I do, so we use the same recipe.

My mother has her own recipe for a leave-in conditioner that she designed specifically for her hair, and it works great.
Amaranthe/Sicarius fangirl, who wonders why she has a fondness for fictional characters that she'd suspects she'd flee if she met 'em in real life.

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:59:16 am »
I've only seen it as lotion, and it was okay.  I'm not actually all that big on the combination.   Honeysuckle ftw! 

Carradee, you should share that recipe somewhere!  :D 
*cough cough* Like here!  Or at least on Pinterest, and then post a link to the Pin.  :D
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

sterre

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 09:04:45 am »
I've come to realize anything is possible if you shop on etsy. Give that a try.
Apparently, I lack charisma

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 10:01:36 am »
Hubby hates the fake cherry blossom smell in products and even the smell of almonds can trigger a migraine for me, so I haven't ever looked for that combo.  I bet it wouldn't be too hard to make with careful application of some essential oils...

Personally, I'm a citrus-y person. Orange, lemon, lime ;)
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

chelabella21

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 11:45:23 am »
My mom uses cheery blossom and almond lotion. It smells like old lady  :P
"If you two sludge-licking toads so much as wave those knives in my direction, I'll rip your apples off, stuff them like taxidermy ostriches, then hand deliver them to your boss with the suggestion that they be incorporated into future juggling practices."   - Evrial Yara

blackmetallic

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 12:31:15 pm »
I like food smells in my lotions and body wash (vanilla and the likes, so almond would be ok for a lotion) but my hair needs to smell different, preferably very little if possible since I have a very sensitive scalp. Most shampoos make it itch like crazy and I think the chemicals they use to add the scent are one culprit. I don't like flowery smells even in my perfumes...
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather

sterre

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 01:57:18 pm »
I find lots of almond scented things tend to end up with that powdery old lady smell.
I'm generally a citrus scent gal. Or Jasmine.
Apparently, I lack charisma

SabrielN7

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 02:09:17 pm »
It's actually really easy to make your own conditioner

I have never made my own shampoo, but I've made conditioning treatments before. I do a honey + olive oil treatment at least once a season. Is that the sort of thing you're talking about? Or do you mean something else?

A few years ago I flirted with the idea of ditching shampoo. My objection was mostly the plastic used in shampoo bottles. It's a shame to make a daily habit out of something that accumulates so much trash, you know? I started with solid shampoo (LUSH, then J.R. Liggett) but it actually seemed to be really harsh. LUSH turned my hair to straw, and Liggett's irritated my skin.

After that, I ditched shampoo entirely, and I spent a while looking very greasy before I finally adapted. The process actually cleared up my dandruff, so I imagine it was healthy, but I ended up going back to shampoo during the school year because I was doing interviews and presentations and wanted to feel 100% scrubbed clean.

SabrielN7

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 02:17:17 pm »
I was just sniffing the Gud shampoo in the store the other day, and I thought it smelled terrible. Very fake on the cherry blossom scent -- like running full tilt into a blooming cherry tree that then tried to beat you into liking it.

I find lots of almond scented things tend to end up with that powdery old lady smell.

Haha. My boyfriend actually came home with the Gud shampoo last night, and I tried it. I did get a powdery old lady feeling from it, I don't know if it's the almonds or what.

For a good almond scent, I would recommend Burt's Bees almond milk beeswax hand cream, or CND Solar Oil (for nails and cuticles). It might be that for an almond scent to smell right, it needs to have actual oil in it.

For my purposes, I might try layering something with a cherry blossom scent over an almond-oil based lotion.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 02:36:28 pm by SabrielN7 »

SabrielN7

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 02:33:14 pm »
I've only seen it as lotion, and it was okay.  I'm not actually all that big on the combination.   Honeysuckle ftw! 

Hubby hates the fake cherry blossom smell in products and even the smell of almonds can trigger a migraine for me, so I haven't ever looked for that combo.  I bet it wouldn't be too hard to make with careful application of some essential oils...

Personally, I'm a citrus-y person. Orange, lemon, lime ;)

I like food smells in my lotions and body wash (vanilla and the likes, so almond would be ok for a lotion) but my hair needs to smell different, preferably very little if possible since I have a very sensitive scalp. Most shampoos make it itch like crazy and I think the chemicals they use to add the scent are one culprit. I don't like flowery smells even in my perfumes...

I don't think I have a favorite scent family, but I have a few things I hate. I hate musk. It crawls right up my nostrils and camps out in my sinuses and gives me a headache. I'm also not a fan of sandlewood or cedar, even though I feel like I should like them. They have a sort of mystical/magical/androgynous/earthy connotation, but the scents end up putting me off.

I like leather, coffee, tea, herbs, spices, most florals, some fruits... most things that aren't musk or dry woods. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 02:35:04 pm by SabrielN7 »

chelabella21

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 02:49:01 pm »

Haha. My boyfriend actually came home with the Gud shampoo last night, and I tried it. I did get a powdery old lady feeling from it, I don't know if it's the almonds or what.

For a good almond scent, I would recommend Burt's Bees almond milk beeswax hand cream, or CND Solar Oil (for nails and cuticles). It might be that for an almond scent to smell right, it needs to have actual oil in it.

For my purposes, I might try layering something with a cherry blossom scent over an almond-oil based lotion.

I get all my lotions and perfumes from Victoria's Secret. I like the flower smell.
"If you two sludge-licking toads so much as wave those knives in my direction, I'll rip your apples off, stuff them like taxidermy ostriches, then hand deliver them to your boss with the suggestion that they be incorporated into future juggling practices."   - Evrial Yara

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 03:07:15 pm »
Bath and Body Works has a lotion that smells like a Hostess strawberry cupcake! It was called... Sweet on Paris, I think? I loved that lotion, need to restock :)
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

chelabella21

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 04:47:28 pm »
Bath and Body Works has a lotion that smells like a Hostess strawberry cupcake! It was called... Sweet on Paris, I think? I loved that lotion, need to restock :)

I bought my daughter that and she loved it! I get those smelly hand sanitizers there.