Author Topic: Cherry Blossom and Almond Bark  (Read 11858 times)

dptalia

Re: Cherry Blossom and Almond Bark
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 05:17:53 pm »
Try Demeter Fragrances (www.demeterfragrance.com) they have every scent in the world.  My favorites are food related - orange dreamcicle, angle food cake, and between the sheets.

Cindy

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 07:05:21 pm »
Try Demeter Fragrances (www.demeterfragrance.com) they have every scent in the world.  My favorites are food related - orange dreamcicle, angle food cake, and between the sheets.

Between the sheets is food related? Kinky.

tara32

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 10:02:31 pm »
Bath and body world fall scents.  Pumpkin!  Love the smell of fall or winter scents

blackmetallic

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 10:07:34 pm »
Bath and body world fall scents.  Pumpkin!  Love the smell of fall or winter scents
Oh they are heavenly. The Bath & Bodyworks vanilla bean is to die for.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather

exstock

• Carnivorous
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 12:45:14 am »
Ooo, Demeter had sugar cane fragrance; had to get me some of that.  So many lovely childhood memories of  long trips up into the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta by taxi then bus then jeep then donkey then foot,  and then sucking on freshly macheted sugar cane as a treat when we finally got there! 

Don't think I'll be ordering their dirt fragrance, though...

"Alas!  Earwax!"
"I'm getting my turtleneck. I'm not defusing a bomb in this!"

dptalia

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 08:13:21 am »

Between the sheets is food related? Kinky.

Okay, that one is drink related.  But close enough!

dptalia

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 08:14:46 am »
Ooo, Demeter had sugar cane fragrance; had to get me some of that.  So many lovely childhood memories of  long trips up into the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta by taxi then bus then jeep then donkey then foot,  and then sucking on freshly macheted sugar cane as a treat when we finally got there! 

Don't think I'll be ordering their dirt fragrance, though...

"Alas!  Earwax!"

I have their snow fragrance, which has a bit of dirt in it - too much, if you ask me.  Lavender isn't bad, nor is sugar plum.  Next time I order I'm going to try sunshine.

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 11:01:13 am »
I'll be waiting on a lotion/soap/shampoo that smells like that smell you get after a summer rain ;)
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

SabrielN7

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 02:01:33 pm »
I'll be waiting on a lotion/soap/shampoo that smells like that smell you get after a summer rain ;)

Petrichor! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrichor
This appears to have fallen from a great height.

SabrielN7

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 02:17:15 pm »

Yes, good idea! They have a cherry blossom, and the reviews for it are positive.

I looked around for a cherry blossom essential oil, and found this conversation: http://www.basenotes.net/t/328502/cherry-blossom-accord
There is no Cherry Blossom Essential oil or extract. In fact I'm not sure if Cherry Blossom smells at all; I don't think I have ever smelled it. Traditionally Cherry Blossom accords are similar to Apple Blossom (and Lilac) based on Linalol and Terpineol, with small additions of Benzaldehyde, Heliotropin, and Anisaldehyde.

If that's true, it would mean that cherry blossom perfumes are all synthetic.  Maybe a good artist could create a credible facsimile, but it's not like rose, where you get the oil by steaming the petals.

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2013, 02:29:45 pm »
I looked around for a cherry blossom essential oil, and found this conversation: http://www.basenotes.net/t/328502/cherry-blossom-accord
There is no Cherry Blossom Essential oil or extract. In fact I'm not sure if Cherry Blossom smells at all; I don't think I have ever smelled it. Traditionally Cherry Blossom accords are similar to Apple Blossom (and Lilac) based on Linalol and Terpineol, with small additions of Benzaldehyde, Heliotropin, and Anisaldehyde.

If that's true, it would mean that cherry blossom perfumes are all synthetic.  Maybe a good artist could create a credible facsimile, but it's not like rose, where you get the oil by steaming the petals.

Cherry blossoms do smell. Exact smell and intensity depends on the cultivar, but I remember a strong floral/rose smell when I went to DC for a class trip while they were blooming there.
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

SabrielN7

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 03:04:12 pm »
Oh yeah, I don't doubt that cherry blossoms have a scent. It just might not be a scent you can properly extract from the flower.

As I understand it, a lot of scents used in perfume are synthetic. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The flower industry is actually kind of problematic from an environmental and human rights perspective, and "natural" fragrances are still just chemicals... sometimes the same exact chemicals you get in a lab.

I would love to go to DC and smell the flowers in bloom. It sounds delightful! I have been a few times, but not in the spring.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 03:05:49 pm by SabrielN7 »

dptalia

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 04:18:40 pm »

http://www.demeterfragrance.com/Search.aspx?key=rain

I told you - Demeter has EVERYTHING!

lectorsbooks

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 08:50:06 pm »
Bath and Body Works Lavender ("Moonlight Path") FTW!

It's an almost sweet, floral smell that actually doesn't give me a migraine! Almost every other scent in that store does, but I love this one. Probably because it's not very strong at all.

blackmetallic

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2013, 09:41:37 pm »
Bath and Body Works Lavender ("Moonlight Path") FTW!

It's an almost sweet, floral smell that actually doesn't give me a migraine! Almost every other scent in that store does, but I love this one. Probably because it's not very strong at all.
Yeah, I have that and I mix it with my unscented lotion after I go swimming. The scent is strong enough to cover the eau de pool that would otherwise hang aorund me :D It's one of the only flowery smells I actually like.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather