Author Topic: Language Question  (Read 2556 times)

K2N2

Language Question
« on: September 25, 2013, 02:43:56 pm »
Friend of mine ran across the term "Lollipop" for a person who helps someone get across the street.  A sort of crossing guard type thing.  Allegedly the term was UK in origin. I've not been able to find any references on the websites I use to track down words.  Has anyone else run into this usage?  Anyone have an idea where it came from and why? 

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
Re: Language Question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:19:10 pm »
According to the all knowing Wikipedia:

Crossing guards are known by a variety of names, the most widely used in the United Kingdom and Australia being "lollipop lady/man", a reference to the large signs used that resemble lollipops.

The Oxford Dictionary also defines 'lollipop lady' as

noun
British  informal
a woman (or man) who is employed to help children cross the road safely near a school by holding up a circular sign on a pole to stop the traffic.
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 06:31:48 am »
aww c'mon!  the lollipop lady or man is ubiquitous to the UK.  They are school crossing patrols.  Generally dressed in bright yellow high vis coats and peaked caps. they get their name for the lollipop shape stop signs they carry to halt traffic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9636983/Lollipop-lady-will-set-you-back-55000-parents-told.html
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

SparkleGirl

• <insert inspiring text here>
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 04:40:17 pm »
And occasionally the lollipop lady would give you an ACTUAL lolly for your walk home. Sigh.
"Oh good," Maldynado said. "Isabel got out."

Kitty

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:12:58 am »
I never had the joy.  my primary school was in the middle of the countryside so it was vehicular access only :(  I was deprived i tell you!
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

K2N2

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 01:17:58 pm »
Thank you all....I didn't have time to dig for this one.   Just FYI real life has become very "interesting" and not in a good way lately.  "Free time" for me has just become listed on the endangered species list.

Kitty

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 10:53:27 am »
tell me about it.  my life has turned rather...ineresting in a nasty way.

ndngirl

• "Whatever you wish, Amaranthe" - Sicarius
  • JenT
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 01:29:05 pm »
what is this "free time" people are referring too?  :-\
""Yes" He kissed her on the neck, and the warmth of his lips sent a wave of heat through her." Sicarius and Amaranthe
Conspiracy

K2N2

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 03:46:06 pm »
I think its a mythological construct or some sort of mass delusion.

kdenning

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 08:13:27 am »
Free time. I have that between 10:25 pm and 10:30 pm. It's marvellous, if I am awake for it!