Author Topic: Santacarius 2013: Return of the Holiday Fic and Art Exchange  (Read 8539 times)

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
Santacarius 2013: Return of the Holiday Fic and Art Exchange
« on: November 21, 2013, 01:08:49 pm »
Last year, we organized a fic and art exchange for the holidays, and people would like to do it again. Yay! If you poke through the topics I've started, then you can see all the fic and art that was posted for Santacarius last year. It was a good time! Much fun was had!

Instead of re-writing the rules, I'm going to link to last year's and then add some edits and repeat important details here, which seems to have amounted to copying and pasting the majority of the rules from last year.  8)

RULES FROM LAST YEAR

EDITS:

1. The deadline last year for signing  up was November 7th. That is long past now, so you have until December 1st to sign up this year. Likewise, the deadline for submitting fic/art last year was December 22nd, but this year will be January 10th. This way, people actually have a chance to submit prompts and write/create art, since we're starting later than last year. Assignments will go out by December 5th, but I'm guessing will probably be earlier. They will be delivered by PM in the forum, so make sure you have that turned on in your profile.

2. Last year, prompts were limited to books from the Emperor's Edge series and related books. (Encrypted, Emperor's Edge, Dark Currents, Deadly Games, Conspiracy, and Blood and Betrayal) This is still true, but I'm willing to open it up to all the books Lindsay has written. If you have an overwhelming urge for Goblin Brothers fic, this might be your chance! Here are the books, if you are too lazy to click that link:

Emperor's Edge
The Emperor’s Edge
Dark Currents (EE2)
Deadly Games (EE3)
Conspiracy (EE4)
Blood and Betrayal (EE5)
Beneath the Surface (a novella but really EE5.5)
Forged in Blood I (EE6)
Forged in Blood II (EE7)

Short Stories
Shadows over Innocence (a free Sicarius background story)
Ice Cracker II (and other short stories)
The Assassin’s Curse (short story)

Tikaya and Rias's Big Adventure*
Encrypted
Enigma
Decrypted

The Flash Gold Chronicles
Flash Gold
Hunted
Peacemaker

Rust & Relics[/b]
Torrent (R&R 1)

Goblin Brothers Adventures

Since there's a possibility that people have not read all these books, this is why you have to offer at least three prompts, so that people have ideas to work with that doesn't involve them having to buy a bunch of books and then read them!

3. All gifts should be appropriate viewing for people under the age of 18. Basically, if you’d have to post it in the 18+ forums/threads here on the boards, then it’s too explicit for the exchange, since we’re not posting the gifts in those places. We want everybody to be able to read!

4. Please format fic gifts as PDFs with descriptive file names. Since this is anonymous, don’t put your names in the PDF! Using the title as the file name would be a smart move. Sarah will be posting them as last year, to maintain anonymity until the Big Reveal.

Please send gifts to this e-mail: santacarius@gmail.com

6. If you will not be able to create something for your recipient — writer’s block, swamped at work, swamped by the holidays, laziness, whatever — please let us know as soon as you can.

TIPS FOR PROMPTS

A prompt should include ideas for story or art that you’d like to receive as a gift. Some people like to have lots of ideas thrown at them in prompts, so they can choose one that works best, while others prefer to keep it simple. So, think about characters you’d like to see art or fanfiction about and what you’d like to see them doing, keeping in mind we can’t have explicit content for this exchange.** If you’re OK with seeing something about any of the characters, then say so! If you want something more specific, then be specific, but have realistic expectations. Asking for novel-length fic probably isn’t going to happen.

RESOURCES

The only reference to winter holidays in the books is this one in Blood and Betrayal in Chapter 1:

As he spoke, Sicarius issued his favorite dark glare, the one that could make a man’s love apples shrivel up faster than a nude streak into the snow on Solstice Day.

Obviously that is Maldynado talking, because who else would mention love apples? Some take this to mean that Solstice Day is celebrated with a nude sprint through the snow, at least by Mal. Make of this what you will.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO SIGN UP

Post to this thread with your prompt. That’s it!

Feel free to ask questions if you have them.

*It should be noted that this is not the series title that Lindsay has given to these books, but it is the one I have given to them. :D
**Sorry, folks. Completely nude Sicarius is out of the question. However, nearly nude Sicarius works. Note: The outfit he wears for the last half of Deadly Games counts as nude, not nearly nude. Bits must be covered.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:25:01 pm by Sarah »
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

dptalia

Re: Santacarius 2013: Return of the Holiday Fic and Art Exchange
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:25:33 pm »
I'm in!

I'd love a story about Sicarius/Amaranthe getting each other gifts
Similarly - Mal/Yara gift giving would be fun!
And because someone has to ask for it - Kittycarius!

Meera

• Frosted Buns Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:57:19 pm »
Yay for Santacarius 2013! Of course I'm in!

My Wishlist:
I'd also like Kitticarius (how could I not?). I'd like to see Amaranthe's reaction, maybe some Trog involvement, but I'm open to anything.
A Cedar/Kali story. I'd love to see  Flash Gold fic!
A story about Rias and Tikaya when their kids were younger, and one of them has stirred up trouble.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 07:09:30 pm by Meera »
"All right, girl, we are not going to be attracted to the amoral assassin."

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:36:07 pm »
I'm in!   Baby #2 is due in the next two weeks, but with Baby #1 she spent a lot of time sleeping and I'm hoping this one will be the same way.   

I will let Sarah know by the 20th if it looks like I'm having trouble. 

Suppose I should add a prompt, huh?  #PregancyBrain #DOH
Art I'd like to see:  Books finally getting to hug his son. 
Fic-wise:  Since it looks like Lindsay's story will be AmSic's honeymoon, I'd like something from the early days - maybe the third official training session, so they know just enough to be horrified of what's to come. 
Maldynado's POV of his first meeting with Amaranthe could be fun, too. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:43:28 pm by riamachia »
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

Sarah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 07:38:46 pm »
I like that you understood I was using the royal we there, Ria. I kept writing "we" and "us" and thinking, "But there's only one me . . . eh, I've got enough personality for two people. We it is!" :P

Now, do you have any prompts for the person who's going to be making a gift for you? Perhaps something involving Akstyr and the tree he brought to the Solstice dinner? No? Yes? :D

ETA: Wrote that as "three" the first time, because there was a cat butt in front of the screen. Perhaps giving Akstyr too much credit. Three ladies? Ha.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:42:17 pm by Sarah »
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

riamachia

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 07:44:57 pm »
I like that you understood I was using the royal we there, Ria. I kept writing "we" and "us" and thinking, "But there's only one me . . . eh, I've got enough personality for two people. We it is!" :P

Now, do you have any prompts for the person who's going to be making a gift for you? Perhaps something involving Akstyr and the tree he brought to the Solstice dinner? No? Yes? :D

ETA: Wrote that as "three" the first time, because there was a cat butt in front of the screen. Perhaps giving Akstyr too much credit. Three ladies? Ha.

lol - I realized as soon as I hit Post that I hadn't added any prompts.  Also I *almost* typed "the people in charge" but I figured it would just be you.  :P
Maria
"It's her eyes."

dptalia

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 07:45:24 pm »

How about Akstyr's first solstice fest in the Kyatt Islands?

Sarah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 07:55:36 pm »

lol - I realized as soon as I hit Post that I hadn't added any prompts.  Also I *almost* typed "the people in charge" but I figured it would just be you.  :P

Life would be so much easier for the whole world if they just realized I AM IN CHARGE! You're ahead of the trend, Ria . . . at least when it comes to Santacarius.

Moondreamer

• Global Moderator
  • The plot bunnies, they will not leave me alone!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 09:23:45 pm »
as long as no one asks for a novel out of me, I'm in!

Hmmm... prompt

Kitticarius! Simply because little black kittens are too cute
Sespian's first Solstice since he stepped down from being Emperor. Mahliki invites him to celebrate with her family
Amaranthe shops for a gift for Sicarius... ot sicarius is prompted to buy a gift for Amaranthe. Hijinks ensue.
"You have a disturbing sense of humor."
http://www.nault-findley.com/

sweartoad

• I'm on DeviantArt (occasionally)
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 09:31:11 pm »
I'M IN.

Prompts?
- Younger Sicarius and hijinks (bat poo optional)
- Sicarius and Amaranthe (ass-kicking times, happy times, submarine times... I don't care)
- Sicarius included somewhere in some shape or form

So basically, if it has Sicarius I will be happy.

blackmetallic

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 06:46:34 pm »
I'm in too, and my prompt is sort of boring and predictable: Sicarius doing anything touchy feely (for him) and festive with Amaranthe and Sespian :D
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather

Cael

• Plot Bunny Breeder
  • These Are Not The Krakens You Are Looking For
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 11:45:33 pm »
I will TRY to be in. Work is nutso, so I might not have time, but I will TRY. (Booo, overtime!)

Prompts:
->Same as last year (try to top Alex's sexy!Akstyr, I dare ya ;D): Un-surly Akstyr. Could be before the books, could be after, could be his first afterglow-laden trip to the Pirate's Plunder. Happy, or at least un-surly,  Akstyr is all I ask.
->Stalkercarius. Early on in the series, unabashed spying-on-Am-sleeping Stalkercarius. Upside down Spiderman-esque pose optional but highly recommended.
->Annnd, cause he's my new favorite man-candy, I want a story about The Spartan from R&R. That's all; go wild. Maybe a POV of him being utterly and amusedly disgusted with Delia's ancient Greek handwriting. Or, since he spent 4 years with the elves, him being almost hysterically amused at her trying to teach him how to use a tablet, when he's seen a way more advanced technology?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:10:03 am by Cael »
Once you've made sure that the signal gets through
There's one final thing that I want you to do
Put me where I'll see stars, so that I can see you
And I'll soar like a leaf on the wind

riamachia

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 11:29:21 am »
I'm being kicked out of the house so they can decorate for my "baby shower" - a friend of mine sent a box with stuff since I don't actually know anybody here.  At least not well enough to say, "Hey - bring me gifts for my baby!" 

Guess what I'm doing with that free time?  ;)   Early start on an unspecified project.
Maria
"It's her eyes."

incinnarate

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 08:01:12 pm »
I would love to see some encounters between Sicarius and other members of the team post-FIB2.

I'm thinking of something that shows changes from his persona in the past. Take, for instance, the moment at the end of FIB2 when Sicarius hugged Sespian and then Maldynado reached in for a hug (before Mal embarrassed himself by propositioning Starcrest). Sicarius had to think for a moment about what it would would happen if he actually did reach in for Mal.

It would be cool to see the exchange between the two, both Sicarius' new relationships with the team members but also how the other members relate to him differently.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:22:30 pm by incinnarate »

Sarah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 06:37:52 pm »
I suppose I ought to actually join this thing, instead of just sitting back and watching the events unfold like a watchful god. I have put a lot of thought into these prompts! Which is why it is so very long. Pick and choose as you need to make things work! So long as nobody is murdered or otherwise indecently outraged, I should be fine with what you come up with.

1. Mal and Yara being domestic together. I have this impression that Mal might know how to cook one really fancy dinner -- like medallions of pork with some apple-based side dish -- to impress the ladies, and the rest of his culinary skills are limited to heating a can of beans up and making toast or passing off something he's bought as something he's made. I would love a story where Yara slowly realizes that Mal can't cook, but she's not sure if she should let him know that she knows, because he's trying so hard to impress her with what cooking skills he does have. Ooh, or even sweeter, Mal trying to figure out how to make Yara's favorite meal and either failing horribly or nailing it -- maybe because she was homesick and he wanted to make her feel better? Or she can't make it home for the winter solstice celebrations, so he tries to make their celebration as home-like as possible with a family dinner for two? Dammit, I just want Mal trying to be Julia Child out of true and pure lurve.

If you are inclined toward art, then a picture of Mal wearing a "kiss the cook" apron and nothing else would also be acceptable. :D Especially if Yara were kissing him to distract him while she undid the bow on the apron . . . or to steal a taste of whatever it was Mal was cooking.

2. Sicarius, Sespian, Rias and Agarik going on a fishing trip together, Sicarius or Sespian POV (or both!). Father/son bonding in an environment where you're not supposed to talk, because it scares the fish! I just have this image in my head of Rias and Agarik being wretchedly normal, and Sicarius being like, "Should I be acting like Admiral Starcrest?" And then Sespian letting him know he can just be himself. <3 And also possibly: Agarik trying to catch fish using the Science instead of a fishing pole and fundamentally misunderstanding the purpose of fishing, Sicarius and Sespian sharing amusement over something (Agarik catching fish with his mind?), someone wearing a silly hat or vest with fishing lures on it, Rias with an "improved" fishing pole, maybe Agarik giving Sespian grief about Mahliki. Basically, A River Runs Through It without the traumatic family relationships. Just the fun bonding over fishing parts! So, maybe more Grumpy Old Men!

3. The other night, Moondreamer posted this picture in chat, and now all i can think about is Amaranthe doing the same to Sicarius. Cabin fever on the submarine, snowstorm back in Stumps -- whatever. Boredom sets in and Amaranthe is forced to amuse herself. She HAS always wanted to see him smile! Perhaps she takes matters into her own hands.

Mostly I want happy, shiny, fluffy, sweet fic. Funny! Funny would be so good.

OFFICIAL STUFF

Since I've procrastinated so much and am only now posting my prompt, if anybody forgot and needs another day to get their prompts in, then that's OK. I'd like to do matching soon, but since there are so few people participating, adding a couple more people isn't going to pose any difficulty. Just let me know ASAP if you want in and haven't tossed your name into the hat yet. I'll probably be doing matching on 4 Dec, and typing assignments up on 5 Dec, so just be sure to post by then. I'll find a way to fit you in, so long as you contact me relatively soon!