Author Topic: RESOLVED: Chat outage  (Read 2850 times)

Mana

• Administrator
RESOLVED: Chat outage
« on: December 06, 2013, 04:56:16 pm »
It was brought to my attention last night by my host company that forum chat is in breach of my service contract due to the amount of computing power it requires to run it. They have throttled that feature and requested action. In the short term, I have pulled the program. I will research my options.

Rest assured, my ultimate goal is to reintroduce chat in the next few days.

Currently my options are:
1. Kill Chat indefinitely
2. Pay for a service (which would remove my control or influence on the program)
3. Buy a different chat program that would use less bandwidth
4. Edit the existing chat so that it uses less bandwidth
5. Move all of the forum into my house and by pass external hosting completely (another costly option on start up since I would need a dedicated PC to house the forum)
6. Buy dedicated hosting (significant monthly cost over what I currently pay)

Feel free to email me at emperorsedge@yahoo.com with suggestions or comments.

Mana
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:00:19 am by Mana »
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."

Elladine

Re: Chat outage
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:22:46 pm »
Whatever you decide you oughta set up a donation thing to help pay for it. I'm sure you know we'd all love to chip in. This community is too great not to.

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:24:49 pm »
Hey, gang. Until Mana figures out what she'd like to do, I've started a free private chat room on Chatzy.

URL: http://www.chatzy.com/24790370880741
Password: muscularthighs

You don't have to register with the site, and it will be open all the time, even when I'm not in there. In theory, I could appoint some people moderators/fellow administrators (Mana?), but I'm not really expecting needing to ban anyone from EE Chat.

Remember to click "join chat" at the bottom of the screen when you get to the chat screen after selecting a nickname and entering the password. I will not share how long it took me to figure that out. (Hint: A long time.)
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:49:02 pm »
lol @ Sarah's password

Another option would be to create one of these hangouts in Google+.   I confess to not using mine much at all, but I can't imagine Google shutting us down.  Anybody ever done a hangout?  Are they a viable option? 

I've created emperorsedge@gmail.com to use as a home base or whatevs.  Be glad to share the pw with non-newb forumites who know how to make cool profile pages and whatnot. 
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 07:03:27 pm »
As of right now we are looking into hosting the site here with a dedicated server.

I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks,
Mana
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 07:11:59 pm »
I will be implementing a change and migrating the site this weekend.

Thank you,
Mana
www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

Cindy

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 08:26:34 pm »
Whatever you decide you oughta set up a donation thing to help pay for it. I'm sure you know we'd all love to chip in. This community is too great not to.

Ditto on the donations. Let us know.