Author Topic: Republic!  (Read 2604 times)

Sarah

• Pants Requisition and Denial
  • Global Moderator
Republic!
« on: April 20, 2014, 07:16:18 pm »
Republic is here!

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JTIME9E
Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/430874

Very many interesting things happen in it, which I am eager to talk about, as I have very poorly been holding my tongue about it for the past month. So, tell me your thoughts, EE fans!

Here's a huge spoiler, so click on it at your own risk:

Spoiler
Sespian is a (foster) daddy. Huh. How do you think THAT will play out? Especially with Mu Lin's cat flushing and all.

ETA: Also, other huge spoilers:

Spoiler
How awesome was the storyline about Tikaya coming to realize that denying Amaranthe the chance to have children with Sicarius made her a big hypocrite, because people had tried to to talk her out of having children with Rias for a lot of the same reasons she was giving Amaranthe? I loved that part.

And also loved the part where Sicarius came back from his assassin hunting trip and embraced Amaranthe in front of everyone in the meeting, and then they smooched hardcore behind a potted tree in the hallway. Smooching behind indoor trees gets me every time. It's just . . . amusing and sweet and a poor use of cover. :D Sicarius should be ashamed, though maybe he just didn't care. :D :D :D

Also loved Sicarius finding the ONE shadow in a room Sespian had designed not to have shadows in the epilogue. Laughed out loud. On par with Sicarius's sheep being buried deep in terms of amusement for me. Amazing joke.

ETA II: Also, Deret's father . . .

Spoiler
. . . is a terrible journalist! For real, dude, you cannot write a story with 1) clear bias, and 2) because the lady you're having an adulterous affair with put you up to it, which is why the story has bias in the first place. Put your opinions in the opinion page, you hack. I can only hope that Deret will lead the paper into a new and brave world composed of facts presented in triangular format and with a minimum of adjectives and absolutely no adverbs. Be strong, Deret. I know you can do it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:05:40 pm by Sarah »
"She tried to imagine him married and living in a house in the countryside with a passel of toddlers running around. The vision did not evolve far. If he ever  married, it would have to be to someone who would follow him into the woods and up a tree." -- Dark Currents

Esme

Re: Republic!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:23:36 pm »
Just finished it!  There was so much going on, I'm going to have to read it again because I'm sure that I missed something. 

Spoiler
I, too, loved the post-hunting embrace.  Seeing his evolution, that he took that moment to return her hug after their separation before he reported to Starcrest, was heartwarming.  I can't wait to see them in Kyatt and the discover the decisions they make about their future.

I was glad to see that Deret made an appearance.  Something interesting always happens when Amaranthe hunts him down. 
Spoiler
I didn't expect apple cider/brandy to be involved though.  How did they manage to not swallow any and/or get drunk?

And, Sespian,
Spoiler
displaying some of his fighting skills.  Especially with the twin to his father's knife. I wished that Sicarius could have been present to witness that. Though it was evident by the end that Sespian and Sicarius are continuing to relate better than they had in the past.

Of course, this only leaves me wanting the next installment to their story...  ;D

Eatworm

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:25:53 am »
I'm reading mine as slow as I possibly can :P

EmilyCross

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 12:32:26 pm »
I thought the subplot regarding

Spoiler
Amaranthe's fertility was interesting! I expect there to be a nice short story in the future about a trip to the Kyatt Islands and some spelunking LOL. I agree that I liked that Tikaya realised that she was being hypocritical about denying Amaranthe's rights to kids./ I would have done a 180 on her character if she had withheld that information.

I'm glad too that Lindsay was

Spoiler
realistic about what a post-revolution republic would be like (e.g., assassination attempts on Rias). I would have loved more of on  Tikiya and Rias especially in regards to the ex-wife and how she could still be married to Rias. I guess I missed Rias POV in this story, but that being said I think Lindsay handled all the current pov really well. 

I felt Malynado developed more in this book than possible in all of the previous books, but I definitely got the feel that this wasn't
Spoiler
the gang getting back together but rather moving onto the next stage of their lives - which I think is fair enough. I have to say I did miss Akstyr in this though!

Overall I think it was great and sets the scene for more. . . *hint hint* ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:36:13 pm by EmilyCross »

rklonewolf

• I am NOT responsible...
    • Art of Lone Wolf
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 10:51:07 pm »
I am SOOOO into this book! I was really sad to get to the end of it. My favorite parts were the ones involving Sespian and Sicarius having to converse. :)
"We will discuss what I call a sprint the next time the group trains."