Author Topic: The Treasure Chest  (Read 7741 times)

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
The Treasure Chest
« on: June 03, 2012, 11:22:17 pm »
So, it's late and this was all I could get before too many yawns hit me tonight, but I do have a bit more in my head. 

The Treasure Chest
Prologue

"I am not wearing that!"  Amaranthe's voice was not shrill, yet, but it echoed through the sewers in a way that made Books glad they were changing hideouts soon.  Maldynado had just presented her with a party dress (or his idea of one) as a means of encouraging her to attend her own birthday party.  It was not having the desired effect.  "I've already explained to you - I'm perfectly happy being twenty-five and I'm not going to go celebrate turning older." 
   "But Boss," there was a wheedling note to Maldynado's voice that Books had seen work wonders on women before, "after everything we've been through with that shaman and the makarovi and all the awful things we saw, don't you WANT to celebrate your life?" 
   There was a pause, and Books couldn't believe that Amaranthe might have fallen for it.  Was she truly susceptible to that idiot's charms?
   "I just don't see why *I* have to be there.  I've never enjoyed parties, and I'm not going to enjoy one surrounded by people paid to be there.  Why don't you take the men and go 'celebrate' for me?" 
   "But you've got it all wrong!  I paid for the room, none of the guests will be paid to be there.  It'll just be anyone who's not working and wants to relax, with no pressure to perform."  Books raised an eyebrow at what was most certainly a lie, as he had been present when the details had been arranged.  "When I told the ladies that I had a female boss, they didn't believe me.  They've been asking about you since I first started telling stories of our heroics!" 
Maldynado shrugged in an offhand way when Amaranthe snorted.  "My friend over at the paper hasn't been painting us in too nice a light, but you wouldn't believe how many upstanding gentlemen's ears those ladies can whisper into.  I'm just doing my part to spread the word about us."  He grinned conspiratorially.  "Several of them want to thank you for our training regimen - I've got more stamina than a lot of their other regulars. 
   "Come on, Boss.  If you don't want to think of it as a birthday party, look at it as a show of grattitude.  And a means of supporting local business." 

Amaranthe groaned.  She was never going to get any peace if she refused.  Maybe she could accept his invitation then disappear on the way to the party.  "Alright.  Alright, I'll go.  But I'm NOT drinking and I'm NOT wearing that belt you call a dress. 
   "Basilard!  You could at least wait until I'm out of the room."  She shook her head as he accepted a 20 ranmya note from Books and Akstyr each, then stalked over and took them.  "If I have to go, the pool can pay for my new dress."  Being a bit of a bargain hunter, it was actually going to pay for a secondhand dress and a few apple tarts from Curi's. 
She headed out the door, not bothering to hide her disgust with the situation.  "I can't believe I'm actually going to go." 
   "You are their leader."  Sicarius's voice made her miss a step, but she congratulated herself for not jumping. 
   "You're saying I shouldn't let them talk me into things I don't want to do?  I know.  I'm planning on escaping on the way.  Want to help?" 
   "If you don't go, you'll be setting the example for your men."  His gaze was steady, without even a hint of an eyebrow twitch. 
   "So you think I should go?"  Her shoulders slumped.  "I don't suppose you'd really go too?  Do the whole looming thing?" 
   "I believe you are the one who said team-building involves the team."  Something in his voice made her look up, and she caught the brief crinkle around his eye. 

Above has been left alone, just attaching the PDF version!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:16:06 pm by riamachia »
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

rklonewolf

• I am NOT responsible...
    • Art of Lone Wolf
Re: The Treasure Chest
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:53:45 pm »
HMMM... that's a good one. I look forward to reading more!
"We will discuss what I call a sprint the next time the group trains."

Cam

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:42:30 pm »
Very cool, riamachia! I think it's a very cute story, well done! :) I love the fact that Mal had to pay people to go... he would totally do something like that. :P

riamachia

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:59:45 pm »
Argh.  This apostrophe and quotes thing is killing me.  I can't get it to paste correctly!
Maria
"It's her eyes."

Laurel

• Huh.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 07:35:06 pm »
Are you going to post more?
Forget love, I'd rather fall in chocolate!

riamachia

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 09:54:53 pm »
Are you going to post more?

I actually have more already, just don't have the time to go through and edit all the ' & " issues.   Even if I can't get it done before next weekend, I'll have a whole week of vacation to fiddle with it then.  :D
Maria
"It's her eyes."

Lysana

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 02:50:19 pm »
Argh, I can't open it on my Kindle Fire! Is there an app that lets you open *.rtf files somewhere?

-Kelly

riamachia

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 04:48:14 pm »
Argh, I can't open it on my Kindle Fire! Is there an app that lets you open *.rtf files somewhere?

-Kelly
I have no idea.  :(   Open Office might be able to convert it to something you can read, but I don't know if it's an app or not.   If you have a gmail account you can try uploading it to your docs, google might let you adjust the format in there.
Maria
"It's her eyes."

rklonewolf

• Art of Lone Wolf
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 12:01:39 am »
so... are you going to post more? :D

Laurel

• Huh.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 08:58:31 pm »
Post more! Please! Pretty please with a cherry on top!  :)
Forget love, I'd rather fall in chocolate!

rklonewolf

• Art of Lone Wolf
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 10:32:39 pm »
And whipped cream and a personal visit from Maldynado!

riamachia

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 09:14:03 am »
And whipped cream and a personal visit from Maldynado!

LOL.  As tempting as that is, real life has gotten in the way!  SOMEBODY recommended In the Night Garden, and I've also been spending a lot of time with THAT. 
I should have a fairly quiet day today & tomorrow, so I might be able to get together enough for a second installment.  :D 
Maria
"It's her eyes."

moldynotgo

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 06:18:40 pm »
How did I never see this before? Just read it - awesome - now where's the rest, pretty please?

riamachia

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 08:10:03 am »
Okay, so last night I dusted this off but I'm still stuck on a transition.  Need some help.  It's not really even for beta-reading, more bouncing ideas to see which fits.  PMs or twitter?
Maria
"It's her eyes."

Mana

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 08:49:10 am »
Okay, so last night I dusted this off but I'm still stuck on a transition.  Need some help.  It's not really even for beta-reading, more bouncing ideas to see which fits.  PMs or twitter?

PMs

www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."