Author Topic: Story of the Turgonian Flag  (Read 2358 times)

rklonewolf

• I am NOT responsible...
    • Art of Lone Wolf
Story of the Turgonian Flag
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:13:21 pm »
I recently posted a picture in Fan Art http://the-emperors-edge.com/forum/index.php?topic=72.0. Mine's the one with the two pictures of the swords. I'm going with the first one, and was asked to do a story about why there's a crown on the sword. I'm probably getting facts mixed up terribly, but it's what I came up with, so feel free to criticize. :)

Books looked up from his newspaper as Maldynado sauntered through the door, carrying a bundle under his arm. He stood in the doorway, looking at Books, who immediately looked down, deliberately  ignoring him. After a few seconds of silence, Maldynado spoke.

"Booksie! How's it going? I'll bet you're wondering where I was."
"No, not particularly." Books said, not looking up. Maldynado came over to the table and sat down across from Books.
"Guess what I got." He said.
"I do not know, nor do I care, but I have the feeling you are going to tell me anyway." Books replied, still refusing to look up. He was curious, but he wasn't about to let Maldynado know that.

Before Maldynado could reply, Amaranthe came in from the adjoining  room.
"Hey, Mal, whatcha got there?" Books looked up from his newspaper. Maldynado, looking very pleased with himself, unfurled his bundle. It was a flag. Turgonia's national flag.

It was a beautiful flag, depicting two crossed swords on a blue background. The left sword, which was crossed over the right one, had a golden crown on the tip.

Unfortunately, the flag had a huge rip in it.

"I can fix that." Amaranthe said, eying the rip.
"Yes, I was counting on that." Maldynado said with a grin. Books rolled his eyes.

"Where and why did you get that?" Books asked.
"A young, beautiful lady at the market was wondering what she was going to do with it, so I offered to take it off her hands." Maldynado shrugged.
"And you didn't get any supplies like I asked you to?" Amaranthe said, propping her fists on her hips.
"Well, I got preoccupied." Maldynado drawled, pasting a huge smile on his face.

Amaranthe shook her head, then sat down with a needle and thread and began the sewing.
"What I've always wondered," She said, pausing to squint at her work, "is why the crown is on the sword. Is there a reason?"
"Actually, yes," Books said. "A bit of history, back when Turgonia was seceding from Nuria* ."
"Ah, come on, Books." Maldynado graoned. Books glared at him.
"No, wait." Amaranthe said. "I want to hear this. Books, go on." She looked at him expectantly. Books gave Maldynado a smug grin, then  continued.

"It was a very hard war, one which many did not think we would win. The General  who led the troops, the famous Bernardus Abelardus,** was not of the same mind as the people. He led his troops bravely into battle, not worrying that they would loose. He had all the confidence that they would win. His winning attitude was infectious. The soldiers pushed on and on, overcoming impossible odds, winning more battles than they lost.

"But this was not to last. In the great Battle of Grimbal Hill, General Abelardus was struck down. He did not survive. The troops fell into chaos. Without a leader, their confidence was shattered.

Then, just when all hope seemed lost, a soldier, a mere Lieutenant, rallied the soldiers, and they pushed on, battling relentlessly. The odds again turned in their favor. They won the battle.

The lieutenant  himself slew over 200 enemies.  Many witnessed his  bravery and courage. He went down under his assailants . His troops gathered around the carnage. They thought he was dead.   But, suddenly, the pile of bodies began to move. A hand holding a sword  bust  fourth. The lieutenant was alive.

"They crowned his their first Emperor, and That's how they came up with the crown on the sword. "
 Books looked around, feeling pleased with himself. His smile faltered when he saw Sicarius in the doorway. The assassin did not move, only stood there in the doorway, arms crossed.

"I-isn't that right, Sicarius?" Books said, feeling the need to say something. Sicarius nodded.
"Emperor Lucius Saversin, First emperor of Turgonia." he said. Books was surprised he had said anything at all.
Amaranthe gave Sicarius what looked to be a sad smile.

*I know this might not be correct, but I couldn't find anything about where Turgonia originally came from. If anyone can find this out, I'd appreciate it if you let me know so I can change it. :D
** This is a Latin name. Bernardus means "Bold as a bear," and Abelardus means "Noble strength." I thought it appropriate.

Tell me what you think!
"We will discuss what I call a sprint the next time the group trains."

Mana

• Administrator
Re: Story of the Turgonian Flag
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 05:48:20 am »
I think all EE fanfic is fun.  So of course I liked it.

I think Lindsay said she is going to give more history in the next book so you might end up changing some facts at that point.  But we will see.

www.nault-findley.com
www.samantha-nolan.com

"In your haste to save the world, take care that you do not destroy it."

rklonewolf

• Art of Lone Wolf
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:43:51 am »
Plus this IS fanfiction.  I'm sure it'll be OK to get a few things wrong here and there before we know what the right facts actually are. :)

sweartoad

• I'm on DeviantArt (occasionally)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 06:41:05 pm »
Naww! Sicarius knows he's messed up that bloodline real good. I liked how the idea of Books explaining wasn't contrived like "Well, blah blah blah blah" but more natural with Amaranthe wiiling to listen to him (as she always it). I like the Roman names too :)

rklonewolf

• Art of Lone Wolf
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 11:01:32 pm »
He he, I was kind of thinking that (without anyone knowing, of course) General Abelardus was some very distant ancestor of Maldynado's. Just to make that a little more interesting. :)

SparkleGirl

• <insert inspiring text here>
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 04:05:46 pm »
I found this by mistake in the corner of the green room. It was a pretty good find  :D
"Oh good," Maldynado said. "Isabel got out."