Author Topic: Decrypted  (Read 12022 times)

alison

Re: Decrypted
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2013, 02:32:50 pm »
Just noticed that the paperback of Decrypted is available. That happened quietly last week, apparently. So for those of you keen on physical books, it's now out there. I bought a Kindle recently, and while it's super convenient and I love it, it does not excite me like a real book. This means I have an excuse to read Decrypted again when it comes to my door next week. Yay.

I've been stringing out my re-reading, so I'm actually not going to finish if EE6 comes out today. Oh well.

riamachia

• Wait, what? Why am *I* getting blamed for this?
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2013, 02:37:17 pm »
Geez, the more the details I read about Rommel, the more I'm convinced that Lindsay had him at least somewhere in the back of her brain when writing Rias!

Wow, his story is amazing.  What a life. 
Maria
"Is that why you... appreciate me?"
"It's her eyes."

SparkleGirl

• <insert inspiring text here>
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2013, 11:09:50 am »
"Oh good," Maldynado said. "Isabel got out."

Carradee

• Misti Wolanski
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2013, 03:06:54 pm »
I believe Rias has been found (in skill set only)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2009/sep/11/china-home-made-submarine

My goodness, I'm very much looking forward to the stories wherein we get to see what Rias and Tikaya's kids end up like
Amaranthe/Sicarius fangirl, who wonders why she has a fondness for fictional characters that she'd suspects she'd flee if she met 'em in real life.

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2013, 12:41:42 pm »
*cough* Rommel was also a devout Nazi *cough*
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

blackmetallic

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2013, 02:19:38 pm »
*cough* Rommel was also a devout Nazi *cough*
Yupp, that's a "small" detail people should"t forget...
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
-Death in Hogfather

exstock

• Carnivorous
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2013, 02:20:43 pm »
...Who was loved and respected by the Jewish people, by Winston Churchill, and by my E-9 grandpa, who was a kickass engineer in the USAF for 32 years, was at Normandy on D+2 day, and after retirement, continued to be friends with all of the US Chiefs of Staff until they also retired?  Whether or not he was technically a member of the Nazi party, it's pretty well documented that Rommel opposed Hitler's policies so strongly that he was forced by Hitler to drink poison, or watch his family and subordinates put in front of a firing squad.

I'm not saying the man was perfect; I'm just saying that the parallels between him and Rias are so strong as to be downright spooky if Lindsay DIDN'T specifically have him in mind as an inspiration!  Rommel's commander-in-chief was an evil asshole; Raumesys, ditto.  Germany at the time was a militaristic nation out to conquer as many neighboring nations as possible; Turgonia, ditto.  Rommel was a gifted tactician, engineer, and leader who rose to prominence at a young age by faithfully serving his nation in wartime; Rias ditto.   Rommel wrote the definitive military textbook for his nation: Rias, ditto. Rommel won battle after battle against overwhelming odds with brilliant, new, and unexpected tactics; Rias ditto.  Rommel always treated prisoners of war and citizens of occupied nations honorably and with respect; I hope and presume that Rias, ditto.  Rommel risked his life, and also of course his career, by refusing to obey all the horrible orders Hitler gave him about killing and enslaving the various groups of people that Hitler hated; Rias refused to obey dishonorable orders such as assassinating the Kyattese president. And Rommel's death was faked, in that the German gov't claimed it was a natural death when it was actually a politically-motivated forced suicide; Rias's death was also faked by his government, but luckily for us, he had that happy ending Rommel didn't get!

My big point, though, is that our instant gut reaction to malign Rommel because he fought for Germany in WW2 is EXACTLY the same kind of reaction that the Kyattese, the Kendorians, the Nurians, and every other group of people the Turgonians  fought (which apparently was pretty much all of them) would have had to Rias! 

So, drawing parallels between Rommel and Rias brings a greater understanding of what Rias & Tikaya had to face.  We're being asked to cheer on a romance between a clumsy scholar, and a good guy who fought WELL for an evil empire!  And we do!
"I'm getting my turtleneck. I'm not defusing a bomb in this!"

Kitty

• Explosives - add P for Plenty
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2013, 03:58:42 am »
Yes Rommel was extremely good tactician, was brilliant soldier and honourable gentleman.  But the reason he was involved in the assassination attempt on Hitler was because he was of the opinion the Nazi cause could only grow strong and continue on was if Hitler was dead.  Afraid Rommel, as proven from German files in their archives, was still a rabid Nazi at the core.  he may not have villified Jews et al, but he did support a hell of a lot of other Nazi causes.  Rommel was the Nazi Parties Blue Eyed Boy that was on every poster to make them look better.
Shame as I do believe otherwise he was a good man.
Stress /noun/ : The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the ever-loving-shit out of someone who desperately deserves it.

Cindy

Kara

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2013, 11:17:45 am »
Craziness!!  That is amazing.  My kids play with Legos:)